• In total there are 4 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 4 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

I'm told I have a best seller... are they lying to me?

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
liberty41988
Permanent Ink Finger

I'm told I have a best seller... are they lying to me?

Unread post

I've sold another book, most seem to sell from Amazon, this one sold from my website. The last reader emailed me to say that she couldn't put the book down and read it through the night. The majority of people that read my story have said that as well. However, this lady went on to say my book is best seller material. Humility keeps me from feeling flattered... well that and my abundant self-doubts. I am desperate for feedback from a forum such as this. Where a group of readers will offer either encouragement or constructive criticism. What say you?
Barbara Gordon-Bell
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Re: I'm told I have a best seller... are they lying to me?

Unread post

unfortunately i have a million things to watch, read, listen to and play, so i will probably never find time to read your book.

that's the thing really, there is just so much material around these days that readers are almost outnumbered by writers (as a figure of speech)

for example i have friends that have recorded albums and i am sure some of them are quite good, but i have years worth of material from far more accomplished players to listen to, so finding time is the problem.

i would like to listen to the entire shawn lane discography again so where am i going to find time to listen to all the other stuff.

i think this is a real problem these days the sheer volume of work and finding someone with time to give it the attention it deserves.

is your book available as an audiobook? that way i could listen to it while i am messing around with software.
Mr A
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Have you ever tried getting an agent and try publishing it, not just self- publishing?
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
- Cyril Connolly

My seven published books are available for purchase, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/Steven-L.-Sheppard/e/B00E6KOX12
liberty41988
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Thank your for your responses. I understand the shortness of time when it comes to reading all there is to read. And to Mr. A, I have been in contact with several publishers. However, they all seem to want me to change the names, places and events to the point that my book would hardly be a non-fiction any longer. I can't bring myself to do that to my true story and the two victims that deserve the truth to be heard. So, self-publish I must do.
liberty41988
Barbara Gordon-Bell
walkingdude
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I have published a a historical novel through Belle Isle Books, a Richmond, Va. subsidiity publisher. The book was released in June, but I have never received any data on how many books have been sold. I have some good reviews from newspapers and on Amazon and Barnes and Nobel, but would like to get some sales data. Since it has only been out for 6 months, perhaps it is too early.
The book deals with the Mormon War in Missouri (1833-1838). It follows the actual events and chronology of this brutal event, but is told through the lives of two very different familes. I am told it is a very poignant story. walkingdude. www.adderinthepath.net
Oliver Strong
Official Newbie!

Unread post

liberty41988 wrote:Thank your for your responses. I understand the shortness of time when it comes to reading all there is to read. And to Mr. A, I have been in contact with several publishers. However, they all seem to want me to change the names, places and events to the point that my book would hardly be a non-fiction any longer. I can't bring myself to do that to my true story and the two victims that deserve the truth to be heard. So, self-publish I must do.
liberty41988
I wouldn't change the content of the book to suit some publishers opinion of what would bring in a better profit margin either, better to stay true to yourself and sleep easier at night than sell out. My advice is to do what you're doing now, hang on in there and ride the storm, 50 shades started out as a self published E-book that traditional publishers wouldn't give the time of day.

I think you must have something if these trad publishers read your manuscript, I sent mine off and when it returned they hadn't even read it! In retrospect would I change my book if it meant a deal with a publisher? No, I write what I enjoy reading myself not what some bean counter wants to read because statistically it sells more.
liberty41988
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Hello Oliver Strong. Thank you so much for your response and for your very perspective understanding of why I have chosen to self-publish! An income from my endeavors would, of course, be a welcomed addition to my limited budget. However, believe it or believe it not, my sincere hope is for Ricky and Jane's story to be known in its truest entirety. This is a story that has been silenced far too long by the very people that have the ability to render justice. Even to this day, my attempts to advertise my book in our local newspaper has been denied. So much for free speech, eh?
liberty41988
Barbara Gordon-Bell

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”