• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Heart of Darkness

#44: Feb. - Mar. 2008 (Fiction)
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Penelope wrote:Here I am having a little discussion with myself.

I misquoted in that last post: We live as we dream - alone

Not as we die - You Numpty woman Penny!!

I had been thinking about the notion of sleep being a 'little death' - some people not liking to go to sleep.

Not me, I like sleep - I could sleep for England!!!
I have always equated sleep with death-lite. But I kinda appreciate the quote with either 'die' or 'sleep'. Kinda hits home either way!

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

It is very dreamlike - or nightmarish. Brilliant

But so bleak. All that suffering, just for Ivory - because it was fashionable. Diamonds....because they are shiney......

What are we, Magpies?
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I can understand the desire for rubber.....(so would you if you could see our weather at the moment) also cotton etc....useful things...which help to make us comfortable in the world.

But Ivory? Diamonds? Gold? Intrinsically useless. Just shiney...so we have all nodded in agreement that they are valuable.

I recently read about the epic journeys undertaken to get 'nutmeg'. In 17th century England, if you could get back to London with a small bag of nutmeg, you had made your fortune...Jackpot. Nutmeg???? Well, it is very nice grated on a rice pudding......but......

Oh, what are we like? :cry:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

Penelope wrote:I can understand the desire for rubber.....(so would you if you could see our weather at the moment) also cotton etc....useful things...which help to make us comfortable in the world.

But Ivory? Diamonds? Gold? Intrinsically useless. Just shiney...so we have all nodded in agreement that they are valuable.

I recently read about the epic journeys undertaken to get 'nutmeg'. In 17th century England, if you could get back to London with a small bag of nutmeg, you had made your fortune...Jackpot. Nutmeg???? Well, it is very nice grated on a rice pudding......but......

Oh, what are we like? :cry:
Salt is another commodity that has caused much suffering and conflict. This of course is a needed item for life to exist, so I guess it is not the same as luxury items.

Check out "Salt: A World History" by Mark Kurlansky for a good read.

Mr. P.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Mr. P - of course, I know about salt. We live on a pile of salt here in Northwich, and there is Middlewich, Leftwich, Nantwich.....named, all because of the salt. The Wiches.

We have a town underneath our town. There are lorries, wagons, trucks driving around on roads. There are pillars of salt, holding up the surface of this town, and a few times in history we have had severe subsidence - overnight.

Keeps us on our toes..here up North.

It's grim.....but we love it. (Do you know Tom Lehrer, or is he before your time?) There are hailstones beating against my windows just now.

Salt I can understand.....Rubber, Cotton, Wool, COAL - (don't talk to me about Coal - there are miners on both sides of my family going back through generations) but coal is useful and necessary (here up North).

I just keep wondering about the shiney useless stuff....We are inclined to follow like sheep....myself included. Wonder why we do that?

Rafael Sabatini
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

This book has made me think about all of these things. S'what books should do.

That is why books are valuable.

Now we have the internet to exchange ideas.

But I do insist that 'Mother Nature' in the form of the planet is not so kind and motherly. That is another 'idea' to reject.

As human beings....we have had to fight tooth and nail to make ourselves comfortable.....which is really what it is all about....not being blinded by the stories. Having said that......I am a believer in a higher power, forcing us home. I like churches....I just don't like religion......I have a respect for the people who have used their brains and their brawn to make us more comfortable here. Not just respect - gratitude.

And I keep searching for what it is that is driving us.....to find out what is 'really' valuable.

Now, this is an atheistic website.....prod..prod...

Rafael Sabatini
ckopphills

First Post ... hope I'm doing this correctly!

Unread post

Hi! Ophelia mentioned this site and the discussion on Heart of Darkness.

I skimmed through the previous posts, and I noticed that, while colonialism had been mentioned, race hadn't really been discussed. I wondered what you all thought of Conrad's treatment of race in the novella?

Recently, in one of my high school history classes, I taught Adam Hochschild's nonfiction account of the Congo, King Leopold's Ghost, and Chinua Achebe's novel about the Igbo and colonialism, Things Fall Apart. After we finished both books, I gave the students a review that Achebe wrote of Heart of Darkness. In that review, Achebe argues that Conrad, though perhaps well meaning and literary, was ultimately a racist because he reduced Africa and Africans to mere backdrops.

One of my students read Heart of Darkness and wrote an essay arguing that Conrad's depiction was NOT racist.

What do you think?

And if this is an inappropriate discussion - or in the wrong place - please forgive me and feel free to delete!

Best,
Christina
Ophelia

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Oddly Attracted to Books

Unread post

Hello again Christina, and welcome to Booktalk! :)

Don't worry, your post is at exactly the right place. What you have read in this thread is a pre-discussion, at this stage we're looking for a discussion leader to start things officially.

Thank you for your input, of course the topic of race is relevant.

I don't think Conrad writes in a racist way. The narrator's description conveys a feeling of indignation at the cruelty and brutality of the Europeans-- or do I just assume that the condemnation is there?

Thank you for mentioning Chinua Achebe's review of HD, I think there is a lot of material there that we could use.

Here is a link to the review:Chinua.Achebe, "An Image of Africa: Racism in Conrad's Heart of Darkness."

.http://social.chass.ncsu.edu/wyrick/debclass/achcon.htm
Last edited by Ophelia on Sat Feb 02, 2008 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ophelia.
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
Australia

Unread post

Here are some lines that caught my eye from the first half of Heart of Darkness, with page numbers from the Penguin Modern Classics edition reprinted 1980.

1. What greatness had not floated on the ebb of that river into the mystery of an unknown earth! ... The dreams of men, the seed of commonwealths, the germs of empires. P7
2. They were conquerors, and for that you want only brute force ... The conquest of the earth, which mostly means the taking it away from those who have a different complexion or slightly flatter noses than ourselves, is not a pretty thing when you look into it too much. What redeems it is the idea only. P10
3. The snake had charmed me. P12
4. ...engaged in the noble cause, you know, and he probably felt the need at last of asserting his self-respect in some way. Therefore he whacked the old nigger mercilessly
5. The supernatural being had not been touched after he fell. P13
6. They were going to run an over-sea empire and make no end of coin by trade p14
7. vast amount of red, good to see at any time, because one knows that some real work is done in there, a deuce of a lot of blue, a little green, smears of orange, and on the East Coast, a purple patch p14
8. pale plumpness in a frock coat. The great man himself. P15
9. She talked about 'weaning those ignorant millions from their horrid ways' p18
10. I felt as though instead of going to the centre of a continent I were about to set off for the centre of the earth p18
11. a man-of-war... shelling the bush
12. places with farcical names where the merry dance of death and trade goes on
13. speaking English with great precision and considerable bitterness
14. each had an iron collar on his neck, and all were connected together with a chain whose bights swung between them, rhythmically clinking 22
15. the outraged law, like the bursting shells, had come to them , an insoluble mystery from the sea 23
16. a flabby pretending weak eyed devil of a rapacious and pitiless folly 23
17. black shadows of disease and starvation, lying confusedly in the greenish gloom 24
18. a white man in such an unexpected elegance of get-up that in the first moment I took him for a sort of vision p25
19. you will no doubt meet Mr Kurtz 27
20. the silent wilderness surrounding this cleared speck on the earth struck me as something great and invincible, like evil or truth p33
21. a prodigy ... an emissary of pity and science and progress 36
22. transgression - punishment
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well of course I thought the novel racist. I think we were a bloomin racist nation in those days. What about Kipling?

They did not encounter many black people in the West in those days - and in their own countries the natives lived more primitively than we did, so we thought them inferior. Rubbish of course!

We have learned from our encounters with them, that they are just as intelligent (or not) as we are (or not). Good and Bad people....but we needed people like Hariet Beecher Stowe to point out our own ignorance and cruelty.

Shakespeare was very nasty about the Jews as was Dickens.....but the holocaust had not happened then. Jane Austen treats the servants and lower classes, in her novels, in the same way as Conrad treats the natives. They are just part of the scenery - no personalities allotted to them.

Give us a break then, we have progressed a bit.

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “Heart of Darkness - by Joseph Conrad”