Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue May 31, 2016 5:03 am

<< Week of May 31, 2016 >>
Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday
31 Day Month

1 Day Month

2 Day Month

3 Day Month

4 Day Month

5 Day Month

6 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Heart of Darkness: Student Message Board Involvement 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Post Re: Heart of Darkness: Student Message Board Involvement
Lydia from 5th period!

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:49 am
Profile Email

This is Erica from 2nd period. :D
Comment: The deeper Marlow goes into his adventure the more curious he seems to get. He started off the journey very positive, and seems to be keeping that mood so far. As Marlow continues to witness the behavior of the people, he doesn't seem afraid or disgusted, instead amazed and entertained.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:40 am

yee yee! why so cereal? It's only John, 2nd period out here like whatitdo.. :lol:

Comment: Well, this book.. it's awesome

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:03 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Official Newbie!

Lester Li from 2nd period

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:20 am
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Hi Miss. Cossick it's kevin the little philipino boy here from 3rd period :)

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:34 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Wow this Kurtz guy seems very rich and popular i wonder why a lot of people would like to meet them for? Marlow is just so excited just to meet Kurtz ... Im going to keep reading the book is getting more interesting.:)

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:41 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

"...a trencherous appeal to the lucking death to the hidden evil,to the profound darkness of its herat.It was so startling that I leaped to my feet and looked back at the edge of the forest, as though i had expected an anser of some sort..."pg 104-105. It makes me think that the men that were talking migth have done something bad. It also makes me want to know what startled him. I also want to know what he was expecting them to answer. -Blanca 3period

Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:57 pm
Profile Email

hey ms.cossick its me justin from 3period

Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:28 pm
Getting Comfortable

Comment: A lot of people think of Mr. Kurtz as dominant/ powerful and especially Marlow, he seems very excited about meeting him. I think that in the end of the story, Mr. Kurtz will be the opposite of what he was expected to be. Marlow has yet a lot more to discover and learn from his journey.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:10 pm
Profile Email
Getting Comfortable

"The mind of man is capable of anything--because everything is in it, all the past as well as all the future. What was there after all? Joy, fear, sorrow, devotion, valour, rage--who can tell?--but truth--truth stripped of its cloak of time. Let the fool gape and shudder--the man knows, and can look on without a wink." (Page 109)

What I like about this book is many of its lines--sometimes selected at random--can be interpreted in many ways and are deep and insightful enough to connect to a variety of topics. This quote is one example of an excerpt that can be interpreted in a variety of ways. I think it tries to illustrate the complexity of the human mind...had there not been such complexity, such creativity, and so many aspects that create each individual mind, we wouldn't find our society making so many stunning innovations.
But the second part takes the flow of words to a whole new theme. It explains that truth must be acknowledged, known, and accepted, rather than feared.

Then again, there's probably something I missed. Does anyone have a different interpretation of this quote, maybe one that is more in sync with the flow of ideas in the novel?

Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:21 pm
Profile Email

Hey It's Alex from 3rd Period ! :)

Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:39 pm
Getting Comfortable

“It was unearthly, and the men were—No, they were not inhuman. Well, you know, that was the worst of it—the suspicion of their not being inhuman. It would come slowly to one. They howled and leaped, and spun, and made horrid faces; but what thrilled you was just the thought of their humanity—like yours—the thought of your remote kinship with this wild and passionate uproar." (Bottom of page 108-109)

This quote in particular spoke out to me because it revealed Marlow's perception of the natives. After journeying up the river, he notices the villages along the riverbanks. It was then at that moment where he saw a sense of their humanity and struggled to identify them as what the Europeans called "cannibals" or "savages". Marlow suggests that he has a certain "kinship", or connection with them that confuses him but also forces him to consider them no different than Europeans. Though he has this remote kinship with the natives, Marlow is still indifferent about seeing them as equals. In that sense, Marlow is continually brought up upon a world that confuses him. Nonetheless, Marlow's adventurous and curious traits will guide him to a mysterious and unknown destination.

As for Evan's comment, I actually like the quote he pulled out because as he mentions, it can range from many different interpretations. However, I'm not quite sure about what the second part of the quote means.

Last edited by catherinek on Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:38 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

Hello, this is philana from 1st period!(:

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:26 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

This is Linus from 3rd period.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:27 pm
Profile Email
Official Newbie!

I'm not really sure where to type down the HW, so I'll make it a reply here, i guess.

"They were dying slowly-it was very clear. They were not enemies, they were not criminals, they were nothing earthly now-nothing but black shadows of decease and starvation lying confusingly in the greenish gloom." (pg83)

As I was reading this, I was wondering about what Marlow felt when he saw the people suffering. He saw them and described them as said in the quote above. Yet despite what he described, I can't tell how he felt about the site in front of him. I feel that there is a lack of emotion, or maybe a lack of care in what he saw. Maybe it's because he felt that his ethnicity made him better then those who suffered and that it meant that there is no need to care for those "below" him. I wouldn't say that he dislikes the Africans, I think that he just doesn't really care too much. Though I guess the point of this is, what did Marlow feel when he saw Africans suffering. I respond with, he saw what he saw, and all he could do was describe his feelings through apathetic lens.

Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:30 pm
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 113 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next