• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Harris speech (transcript) on atheism

#92: Jan. - Feb. 2011 (Non-Fiction)
lady of shallot

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Genuinely Genius

Re: Harris speech (transcript) on atheism

Unread post

Penelope, Just a quick response as we are on our way out. No, of course people with mental illnesses are not issued guns. There are controls, but there is also access to guns if a family member has one.

The plight of people in third world countries would not be futile at all if there were no corrupt governments in place. The futility comes from how much interference can and should first world countries interject?

My husband just got his driver's license renewed. He took no test nor waited in a long queue. I think I understand a little better now what you mean by patterns. I would not call looking for a sense of direction a pattern so seems it is just semantics between us.

Suffering because of a purpose? No. A reason yes. No purpose other than that is the lot of being human.

Today is the anniversary of the suicide of one of my nephews. His suffering and suicide had no pattern (well yes there probably was in his behavior but I did not know that till later) His unbearable trials were the result of his personality, his psyche, the actions enacted upon him, those he chose to enact upon himself and the inability of those closest to him to help and the lack of recognition of others who loved him to see his situation and to do what they could (maybe futile) to help.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Re: Harris speech (transcript) on atheism

Unread post

lady of shalott:

I've tried to send a PM private message, but can't get it to go, as we're really off topic and we might get a reprimand.

Anyway, I'll try again later to send you a PM.

Awful about your nephew. I know that it makes everyone feel gulty as we had a young friend of my older son who took his own life at age 19. The boy spent a lot of time at our house, as all his friends did. It happened when he went away to University.....

It always seems to be young boys in their teens.....they are full of bravado but are often like eggshells underneath.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “The Moral Landscape - by Sam Harris”