• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Great Idea!

#35: Jan. - Mar. 2007 (Non-Fiction)
FiskeMiles

Great Idea!

Unread post

Chris:What a great idea to change the Dawkins discussion to its own forum. Doing so makes it much easier for members to engage on specific aspects of the book and to participate while they are reading it. Way to go! Fiske
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Re: Great Idea!

Unread post

Well Fiske...this is the winner of the next quarter read...it had to be made its own forum...I just do not want Chris getting any credit he does not otherwise deserve...it makes his head get bigger!Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy PiperEdited by: misterpessimistic  at: 12/26/06 9:33 am
FiskeMiles

Unread post

Mr. P:I'm new here, so I didn't understand the criteria for how a book gets chosen to be its own forum. Here is another newbie question, is there any sort of explanation about how the forum operates? I mean an overview sort of thing?Thanks for straightening me out and heading off a potentially inflationary issue... Fiske
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

We've experimented with our book forums over the years. What we typically do is create one forum for each official book selection. By "official" I mean that the book won in a poll and is not some sort of additional book discussion initiated by a member, but is an actual official discussion meant for the entire community.The forum is created with a thread for each chapter of the book so that our posts stay organized, but people are welcome to create their own threads if they have general comments that don't necessarily fit into one of the chapter threads. We also look for a discussion leader at the beginning of each reading period. This person will hopefully read the entire book in a reasonable amount of time and then attempt to keep the discussion moving along smoothly by making periodic posts and replying to people when possible. The discussion leader is not expected to be the focal point of all discussions, nor do they have to reply to every post. It is just a position for someone who believes they will be pretty active in the discussion and thinks they can help keep the conversation moving and never stalling.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It is kinda amazing how much discussion this book has generated...and we have not even started reading it!What a good choice this was!Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm on page 66 already and loving the book. I have a ton of comments I want to make and I have a few great ideas for new pages on our site.
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I am up to page 20-something. I am loving it too. I love the tone and what Dawkins has to say.I appreciate the fact that he has started with Einstein's god and the fact that many theists and religionists point to Einstein as a religious (traditional) man. He was not. I get sick everytime I hear that argument.On thought I had from these chapters is the benefits and kid-glove attitude religions seem to get. Case in point is that Supreme Court case about the hallucinegenic drugs that one church is allowed to use in their rituals. Another is the fact that you can opt out of school vaccinations due to religious reasons, but not many other that are philosophical or belief related. This is crap. I know one mother who joined a religion online that was set up for the purpose of getting around the vaccines...it worked. Silly.Mr. P. Mr. P's place. I warned you!!!Mr. P's Bookshelf.I'm not saying it's usual for people to do those things but I(with the permission of God) have raised a dog from the dead and healed many people from all sorts of ailments. - AsanaThe one thing of which I am positive is that there is much of which to be negative - Mr. P.The pain in hell has two sides. The kind you can touch with your hand; the kind you can feel in your heart...Scorsese's "Mean Streets"I came to kick ass and chew Bubble Gum...and I am all out of Bubble Gum - They Live, Roddy Piper

Return to “The God Delusion - by Richard Dawkins”