• In total there are 0 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 0 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Germany and the Turkish deportations/massacres

#28: July - Sept. 2006 (Non-Fiction)
MadArchitect

1E - BANNED
The Pope of Literature

Germany and the Turkish deportations/massacres

Unread post

Okay, so I haven't been posting much lately, but that doesn't mean I haven't been reading.Chapter 26, section iv. presents the first part of a curious little twist of fate. As Fromkin presents it, Germany was opposed to the Turkish deportations of Armenians, rumored to be, in some areas, massacres. They made a few muted protests, particularly emphasizing that the deportations could be used to support the Allied cause, but ultimately pussy-footed around distancing the Ottomans.This opens up all sorts of questions, I think. For one, it serves as an interesting contrast to the German deportations and pogroms during WWII, and opens the question of what happened between the wars to make Germany embrace a program they viewed askance in WWI. It also opens the question of influence -- could the Turkish methods have influenced the Nazi solution?

Return to “A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East - by David Fromkin”