• In total there are 35 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 35 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

From the archives: Lennox vs. Dawkins, Has Science Buried God?

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

From the archives: Lennox vs. Dawkins, Has Science Buried God?

Unread post

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0UIbd0eLxw

Watch Lennox destroy that fool Dawkins! (or is it the other way around?)

Start at about 4:20

:RockOn: :bananen_smilies090:
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Re: From the archives: Lennox vs. Dawkins, Has Science Buried God?

Unread post

Great post Dexter!

Lennox vs. Dawkins, sums up really well both sides of a complex issue.
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

I've watched about 20 minutes and it's such a congenial unmoderated discussion between two gentlemen. Very interesting. But of course, they're British. Don't think this would be possible with two American counterparts. :lol:
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

The civility remains throughout the debate.

What's informative is watching two pro's make their respective case.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Notice how Dawkins relies on just as many presuppositions, despite implying that only evidence guides his reasoning.

:roll:
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Indeed, presupposition is a trap set by Lennox, who of course has bound himself to a presupposed argument from the get-go,(his belief dictates such) Dawkins of course recognizes this preordained position of Lennox's and brings the debate back to point.

Its the same trick Steven Meyer used against Charles Marshall in Flanns linked debate from another thread.

It works something like this; Get the evolutionist to start talking/hypothesizing about origins, be it either cosmological or human,(muddied waters to say the least, due to the impossibility of knowing first cause) then accuse, in this case, Dawkins or Marshall of presupposition, Its pure point scoring, which both our intrepid evolutionist quickly counter pose.

There's the difficult choice for the likes of Lennox and Meyer to admit the veracity of TOE, then fall back to the GotG, and ID line, (if it looks like purpose, than God did it).

Mind you, I trying to use what Guy P. Harrison calls "Good Thinking", I'm not expert but I am trying.

Neither Dawkins or Lennox broke a sweat, something I often do in a figurative sense many times here on BookTalk.org. I sometimes simply do not know where some people are coming from.(its disconcerting to say the least)
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

Taylor wrote:Indeed, presupposition is a trap set by Lennox, who of course has bound himself to a presupposed argument from the get-go,(his belief dictates such) Dawkins of course recognizes this preordained position of Lennox's and brings the debate back to point.

Its the same trick Steven Meyer used against Charles Marshall in Flanns linked debate from another thread.

It works something like this; Get the evolutionist to start talking/hypothesizing about origins, be it either cosmological or human,(muddied waters to say the least, due to the impossibility of knowing first cause) then accuse, in this case, Dawkins or Marshall of presupposition, Its pure point scoring, which both our intrepid evolutionist quickly counter pose.

There's the difficult choice for the likes of Lennox and Meyer to admit the veracity of TOE, then fall back to the GotG, and ID line, (if it looks like purpose, than God did it).

Mind you, I trying to use what Guy P. Harrison calls "Good Thinking", I'm not expert but I am trying.

Neither Dawkins or Lennox broke a sweat, something I often do in a figurative sense many times here on BookTalk.org. I sometimes simply do not know where some people are coming from.(its disconcerting to say the least)

Lennox slaughtered the hyper presumptuous Dawkins, who hasn't been a working scientist since God (pun intended) knows how long.
Last edited by ant on Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

Lennox at about 48 min:

"ancient historians, many of them even at the skeptical end of the spectrum, say that the evidence for the resurrection of Christ is very powerful."

You want to defend this total bullshit?
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Ant wrote:
Lennox slaughtered the hyper presumptuous Dawkins, who hasn't been a working scientist since God (pun intended) knows how long.
:P

"Slaughtered"! really! I wouldn't go so far as that, The whole debate is circular, there is no right answer, as you and others have said, agnosticism is the only true position.

Don't we as humans, at some point in life have to take a side? Daily we are confronted by choices, if we are agnostic about them all, we, none of us, would be here and now. Except of course those who take a side, its survival to choose.

In the case of first cause or God vs. chance and self determination, the true challenge is to eliminate the life or death consequence of making that choice.

I was reading the intro to "The Rise of Early Modern Science: Islam, China and the West" I stopped to respond here. :P
Taylor

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Awesome

Unread post

Dexter:
Lennox at about 48 min:

"ancient historians, many of them even at the skeptical end of the spectrum, say that the evidence for the resurrection of Christ is very powerful."

You want to defend this total bullshit?
Lennox did manage to get an admission of the historicity of Jesus. Minor victory for his cause.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”