• In total there are 21 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 21 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Fibs, Lies and Scripture

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
Pippa
Almost Comfortable

Fibs, Lies and Scripture

Unread post

The up front stuff:
- I work for Old Mill Books, who have published this ebook
- I wouldn't tell you about it if it wasn't any good
- If you're a fundamentalist Christian, you won't like it, even though it's written by a bible-believing Christian!

The blurb:
Scripture, like statistics, can be used in ways that are both misleading and dishonest. Written by a man who believes the bible's truths, this book explores many of the ways in which the Bible is misused and abused. It reveals that many commonly-held beliefs are both false and unscriptural and urges fellow Christians to test the claims of all who say their messages are based on scripture.

The author:
John Philip, the author, is fed up with hearing fellow Christians and non-Christians alike using cherry-picked snippets from the bible to support their own views. Even though a scientist, based at a leading UK university, he has somehow managed to write in plain English, a feat he describes as 'almost unprecedented in the annals of academia'.

The details:
The thing I love most about this book is that it has given me such clear examples to use when confronted by people who are, quite frankly, illogical, ignorant and bigoted.

The book is available from Smashwords on a 'reader chooses price' offer. in other words, you can take it for free or pay what you want.
https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/142566
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Fibs, Lies and Scripture

Unread post

Does he advocate that all Christians follow the One True Interpretation?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Speaking for myself, I don’t think God is too worried about the construction of my clothing. It might be that the Israelites needed some practical advice while they spent forty years wandering in the desert and another long period as embattled settlers. They had few possessions and little time to waste in making impractical clothing. In fact, the direct context of the decree on clothing is this:

Keep my decrees. Do not mate different kinds of animals. Do not plant your field with two kinds of seed. Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material.’

Clearly this is simply practical advice suited to the needs of people who at the time were desert nomads and who would shortly be settling down as farmers. As we are not in the same practical situation these particular decrees are not intended for us in the 21st Century.
OMG #1: "Speaking for myself, I don’t think..." Here be Dragons... :P
OMG #2: On page 10 John Philip states why we should NOT "Keep My Decrees". :pop:

On page 11 we find the following.
Some individual passages have very little to do with God’s grand scheme. To take one of the other rules from Leviticus as an example, it is not part of God’s overall plan that people with infectious skin diseases leave the camp and cry, ‘Unclean!’ wherever they go.
OMG #3: Why not??? Who determines what is in accordance with "God's Grand Scheme"? Wait, Gawd has a scheme? :x
Taken on its own, this was simply a practical rule for the time.
OMG # 4: I thought Gawd's Word is Eternal?

Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
Pippa
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I don't see myself as qualified to discuss the content of the book from a theological point of view. I'm not sure I even understand some of the points above! One of the things that attracts me to the book is the absence of complex theological debate - he sticks to simple logic and accepts that he does not have all the answers. (I suppose the last point does answer one of the questions above.)

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”