Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed May 25, 2016 3:43 pm

<< Week of May 25, 2016 >>
Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday
25 Day Month

26 Day Month

27 Day Month

28 Day Month

29 Day Month

30 Day Month

31 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Ethical intuitionism 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Am I Great or What?

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Post Ethical intuitionism
In case anyone is interested, I picked up a book that may be something of a complement to Harris. It is a more academic treatment of moral philosophy, but I think it is fairly accessible. It comes highly recommended by someone I know, I haven't started reading it yet

Michael Huemer, Ethical Intuitionism
http://www.amazon.com/Ethical-Intuition ... 290&sr=1-1

Quote:
Review
'Read this. It is the best book ever written on meta-ethics. Even philosophers who know the field may feel as though they are confronting these issues for the first time. I used to think of ethical intuitionism as a silly, naIve, even ridiculous theory, but Michael Huemer has made an intuitionist out of me.' - Stuart Rachels, Department of Philosophy, University of Alabama, Tuscaloosa, USA 'Huemer's book may be the best, most comprehensive defense of ethical intuitionism since Moore's Principia Ethica...[it] is an outstanding defense of the view that there are objective moral truths knowable through intuition. Whether or not one agrees with Huemer's conclusions, one cannot ignore the power of his arguments.' - Richard Fumerton, Department of Philosophy, University of Iowa 'A terrific book. Now philosophers will have no excuse for treating ethical intuitionism as if it were a silly and easily-refuted view.' - James W. Nickel, Arizona State University College of Law, USA

Product Description
A defense of ethical intuitionism where (i) there are objective moral truths; (ii) we know these through an immediate, intellectual awareness, or "intuition"; and (iii) knowing them gives us reasons to act independent of our desires. The author rebuts the major objections to this theory and shows the difficulties in alternative theories of ethics.

More from the author's web site: http://home.sprynet.com/~owl1/book2.htm

There were several very cheap used copies on Amazon, but they're not there anymore (I bought it for $2 plus shipping).

Last edited by Dexter on Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

The following user would like to thank Dexter for this post:
DWill
Tue Dec 28, 2010 1:33 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.