• In total there are 13 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 13 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

E=mc² is wrong?

#89: Nov. - Dec. 2010 (Non-Fiction)
Jim Watters
All Star Member
United States of America

E=mc² is wrong?

Unread post

The distinguished physicists on BookTalk and a few others are keenly aware of this, but the general public is not. Thus, I burst your bubble... :close_tema:

stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Re: E=mc² is wrong?

Unread post

Someone must have blown the geek whistle before filming this.
It isn't wrong so much as it is not complete.
As one who would have come running if I had heard said whistle I point out that for the observant among the BT family this is not news. When I posted E=MC2 derived from Newtons Law of Motion, my paper was based on Kinetic Energy and yielded the term
E=MC2 - M(subzero)C2. I believe this translates to the additiona factors shown if approached as an integral but the discussion is complicated by the difference between kinetic energy and energy. My derivation was kinetic energy de facto as a result of starting with one of the laws of motion. To me the brain twister is when you manipulate the equation (in simplified form) and realize that Mass is equal to Energy divided by the speed of light squared. Is there anyway to do that and have mass (matter) generated?

Oh, the joy.

Beware of quantum ducks, quark, quark.
booktalk.org/e-mc2-comes-from-f-ma-t716 ... derivation
Last edited by stahrwe on Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.

Return to “The Grand Design - by Stephen Hawking & Leonard Mlodinow”