• In total there are 7 users online :: 2 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Do people prefer Kindle or hardback Books?

The perfect space for valuable discussions that may not neatly fit within the other forums.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
roger penzance
Getting Comfortable

Do people prefer Kindle or hardback Books?

Unread post

Im curious as to some peoples preference as we live in a day and age where technology is rapidly advancing, im just curious if people find kindle books better than the originals?

also can anyone reccomend any new books to me, ive just read Guy Templars running with gods, was good but now I want something else does anyone have any sugestions, please no romance..
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Re: Do people prefer Kindle or hardback Books?

Unread post

Both have their advantages. A couple of years ago, my (adult) children game me a Kindle for Christmas. I have been using it ever since. This however, does not mean I have given up hard-back books (paperbacks are a different matter, as I will explain).

Advantages to the Kindle: (1) the incredible amount of material you can store on one. When I visit my daughter and her family, I fly (distance); no way could I carry more than one book. But with a Kindle, almost no limit. (2) Due to advancing age and health conditions (I am a diabetic), my eyesight has degenerated. With the Kindle I can increase the size of the print :) (try this with a paperback novel). (3) My Kindle has two built-in dictionaries; if I come across a term I don't understand, I can switch to one without losing my place. :)

Disadvantages: (1) It is hard to 'flip' back and forth more than a few pages (if you need to find the name of the girl mentioned in Chapte 3, for example). :? (2) I rely on my local library for a lot of my books; while we are connected to an on-line library, it is sometimes hard to find what you are looking for. :cry: (3) A purely subjective point; I am old enough to still appreciate the look, feel, and yes, smell or a 'real' book.

So I guess my response is both. :wink:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
JGWeddle
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I agree with Cattleman. Both have their advantages.
I am an author, and have books in paperback and ebook.
Many people I have spoken with prefer to hold a paperback, but travelers prefer the Kindle for all the reasons Cattleman mentioned.
ecila68
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I was excited to get my Kindle, and only read 1 book on it... I have to try again (could have been the novel)
but I didn't like it..I'm with cattleman.. the smell and quality of paper, typeface, and edges matter!
roger penzance
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Thats brilliant guys thanks alot.
I was just curious, also theres these audible books being released it seems to be growing fast any opinions?

what is the name of books you have published i will take a look.
also the book i read by Guy Templar is described on his website www.endsofthisearth.org maybe you guys will enjoy it like I did.
also prease recomomend a book for me. Thank you loads for the replys
SFREEMANGA
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I too like both formats, my reasons coinciding with Cattleman's. I travel fairly often for work, and the Kindle is convenient. But I also enjoy the tactile feel of a paperback, which--after I return from the beach with it--still carries the aroma of the ocean.

I write myself, so I'm hoping someone will one day associate their beach trip with a book of mine!
Donald1969
Official Newbie!

Unread post

It would seem to me that women and the younger generation prefer E-readers. I was hesitant to buy one but I'm glad I did. I've been reading books consistently for thirty years and the Kindle has absolutely saved me money. It also frees up a lot of space in the house! I have a few bookshelves with hundreds of books on them that I want to get rid of. The light smell of Dusty books is a good thing in my opinion, but I'd like to free up the space, especially since I will likely never read those titles again.

I don't see the sales of E-readers dropping any time soon. There may come a day where physical copies of books are only kept in case of a global catastrophe and we no longer have access to our electronics.
Nathan Kane
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

When sitting down and reading a book, I prefer to hold something - use my cool bookmarks, etc. I grew up in a book store, so this is to be expected from someone like me.

However, with that being said and done. I don't buy many paperbacks anymore, I have been converted to kindles. I don't have a fancy kindle iThingy, I simply use my iPhone or computer -- you get the app free that works on just about every electronic device out there. Now, I grab books on a regular basis in kindle format and read them mostly on my iPhone. It's like carrying around 50-100 books in my pocket.

In this day and age, going Kindle and/or any eBook format is a must. Even the public libraries have slowed down shelving books and pointing folks in the eBook direction.

♥ Nathan Kane
Paranormal / Horror Author of "Darkness Reaching" by Nathan Kane
Please come visit my Blog: Inside a Twisted Mind
My New Book: Darkness Reaching (kindle) -or if you prefer- Darkness Reaching (paperback)
MelissaEskueOusley
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

I use Kindle often, but I prefer a paperback, partly because I like holding them, and partly because I take them everywhere, places where a Kindle might not survive...like the pool or beach. Granted, a paperback might not survive getting wet either, but at least I won't get zapped. Still, in thinking about having to move all the books I own, I can see the appeal of an e-book.
shuart24
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

Depends on what I'm doing. I prefer Kindle for my 'work',books. I abhor annotating paper books because I think of them as works of art. That's no problem on a Kindle. My physical books are only for home reading or when I'm far from a power outlet. I love their unique typesets, illustrations, and photographs too much to risk damage.

Return to “Everything Else”