• In total there are 32 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 32 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Currently reading one fiction and one non-fiction book:

Share your current reading list, your impressions of the books, and whether you'd recommend them to fellow community members. Authors, please do NOT post in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
BretAM5
Almost Comfortable

Currently reading one fiction and one non-fiction book:

Unread post

That's how I usually try to limit myself, because I find it a bit overwhelming to tackle anymore than that at a time.

The fiction book is 'Salem's Lot, as I'm trying to catch up on Steven King's most well-known works and this one jumped out at me. I'm about a quarter of the way in (reading it on my Kindle because print versions of King's books often seem to have absurdly small fonts) and really enjoying it so far. As someone who grew up in a small New England town, I can attest to many of the things he writes about the Lot and it's people. This is certainly proving to be more than just a simple horror story. I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks of the book (I'm sure many of you have already read it), just don't spoil it! :shock:

The non-fiction book is Guns, Germs, and Steel by Jared Diamond. It's about the rise of human civilizations around the world, and while some advanced rapidly while others did not. I'm about a quarter of the way through this one as well, and it's been a bit harder to get into, mostly because 'Salem's Lot is so engaging. So far, Diamond has focused a lot on the rise of agricultural techniques, which reminds me a lot of what I read in Michael Pollan's Omnivores Dilemma. I'm looking forward to reading more.
"As far as I'm concerned, the entire reason for becoming a writer is not having to get up in the morning." -Neil Gaiman

Check out my fiction blog/online notebook, Watch Your Eyes
aprilla
Official Newbie!

Re: Currently reading one fiction and one non-fiction book:

Unread post

I remember that I loved Salem's Lot but read it so long ago I couldn't spoil it for you! But like you I recently started playing catch-up with Stephen King's books and have recently enjoyed Under the Dome, and even moreso Dolores Claiborn which I listened to and the narrator was terriffic... you have some good books before you!
I'll be ready for more soon too, just to decide which to go for :)

Return to “What are you currently reading?”