• In total there are 5 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 5 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Cosmos ----why again?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Cosmos ----why again?

Unread post

Is there a big demand for a remake of Cosmos? Maybe, but Tyson says the remake is needed due to improved special effects.
Interviewer: How is the new ‘Cosmos’ different from the original?

NDT “Visual effects have improved since then. While the original ‘Cosmos’ was quite stunning in its day, given what our expectations now are, of every viewer who is a consumer of media..."
Cosmos reboot or Tyson promotion?
Last edited by stahrwe on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Cosmos ----why again?

Unread post

Stahrwe wrote:Tyson says the remake is needed due to improved special effects.
No, Stahrwe, he didn't say that.

Hulk reboot or Norton promotion?

It makes me sick how they only re-made the hulk to promote Edward Norton's career.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

Notice the question actually asked by the interviewer is about how the new version is different from the old; he did not ask the question in the thread title. Here's an answer to the question "why again", stated by Carl Sagan's wife Ann Druyan. Tyson's answer in the final sentence is excellent.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... sse-tyson/

Tyson also answers that question more directly in this interview
David Freeman: Cosmologically speaking, what's changed in the 34 years since the original "Cosmos?"

Neil deGrasse Tyson: Just about everything.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/0 ... 90408.html
This is a good interview. David Freeman presses Neil on whether he believes in God and it's obvious he has learned lessons that we've seen on BookTalk.
DF: Do you want to talk about religion now?

NT: I'm here for you.

DF: Do you believe in god?

NT: I presume you've pre-specified which god you're asking about?

DF: Define god as you would.

NT: You're the one who's asking the question. So pick a god and ask me if I believe in that god.

DF: The Judeo-Christian god.

NT: (Well....I'll let you read it at the link above.)
The following points are tasty.
DF: Can science and religion be reconciled?

NT: As religion is now practiced and science is now practiced, there is no intersection between the two. That is for certain. And it's not for want of trying. Over the centuries, many people--theologians as well scientists--have tried to explore points of intersection. And anytime anyone has declared that harmony has risen up, it is the consequence of religion acquiescing to scientific discovery. In every single case.
DF: What's one interesting thing viewers will learn from "Cosmos?"

NT: We tell the stories of scientists in different cultures and different eras whose life work was fought against by the culture or the governments that controlled their lives or by social mores that interfered with their exploration of the truth. Some gave their lives for having found truth and in that world you learn that there are science martyrs. They're people who cared more about the truth than their own relationship to their homeland.
This will be a superb series for anyone interested in science, especially those who never saw the original. It begins this Sunday evening 3/9 on Fox and National Geographic channels. Spread the word.

http://www.cosmosontv.com/
http://channel.nationalgeographic.com/c ... e-odyssey/
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

so excited for the new cosmos!

so much new territory, and new angles to look at the old territory!
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

I assume it's not going to be officially posted online? Hopefully someone will put it up on YouTube or something.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

This is a good interview. David Freeman presses Neil on whether he believes in God and it's obvious he has learned lessons that we've seen on BookTalk.

Quote:
DF: Do you want to talk about religion now?

NT: I'm here for you.

DF: Do you believe in god?

NT: I presume you've pre-specified which god you're asking about?

DF: Define god as you would.

NT: You're the one who's asking the question. So pick a god and ask me if I believe in that god.

DF: The Judeo-Christian god.

NT: (Well....I'll let you read it at the link above.)
:lol: :up: :lol: classic!
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

And as NDT points out in the interview, not "Why again" but "why adding on?"

Why adding on, because things have certainly changed over these last few decades and there's a lot more to know!

Even if there was no new info from then to now, cosmos didn't say everything there was to know at that time. They could do a thousand cosmos series just trying to lay out what was known when Sagan did it.

Also, have a listen to NDT's voice in that calendar video clip in the link. Butter.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

While I feel starwhe's question has been adequately answered, I cannot let this topic go without adding my own 2 cents worth:

The original "Cosmos" was a masterpiece in its own right. But to say that an updated version is not needed, or at least, desirable, is like saying "Copernicus told us the Earth revolves around the Sun, why go further?" :? Or "Newton explained by things fall 'down,' do we need more?" :? New discoveries are being made each day, and need to be discussed and brought forth. As for Tyson, remember he was the personal choice of Ann Druyan, Carl Sagan's widow and co-producer of the new series. :) He (Tyson) in my opinion, is a worthy successor to Sagan and the great populizer of science. I am thrilled that he will be our guide (I refuse to call him a 'host') in this series. :wink:

If you are uncertain about watching the new Cosmos, give it a try (JI know I will). If you don't like it, well, that is what the channel selector and off-on switch are for.

Sagan rocks. :clap2: So does Tyson. :clap:
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein
stahrwe

1I - PLATINUM CONTIBUTOR
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Unread post

Interbane, he did in fact say that. As a matter of fact I quoted NDT in my opening. And, to bolster my position, NDT was interviewed on Fox & Friends this morning and 99% of NDT's comments and 100% of his enthusiasm was about the special effects. The interviewer even asked him what was new in this production compared with the Sagan effort. His answer, the budget allowed cool special effects instead of him just standing and talking.
n=Infinity
Sum n = -1/12
n=1

where n are natural numbers.
Cattleman
Way Beyond Awesome

Unread post

I will reserve further comment until I have seen at least the first episode.
Love what you do, and do what you love. Don't listen to anyone else who tells you not to do it. -Ray Bradbury

Always listen to experts. They'll tell you what can't be done, and why. Then do it. -Robert A. Heinlein

Return to “Science & Technology”