Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 2:16 pm

<< Week of December 09, 2016 >>
Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday
9 Day Month

10 Day Month

11 Day Month

12 Day Month

13 Day Month

14 Day Month

15 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Christ in Egypt: The Mythicist Position 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Page Turner

Silver Contributor

Post Re: Christ in Egypt: The Mythicist Position
Good, yes, so very good and pleasing to see that it is true "you can't fool all the people all the time" and this list certainly proves it.

And yet how many people have taken metaphor for fact, allegory for history, and thereby been deceived and defrauded of their birthright.

Viva la revolution, liberty and a free mind

Thanks for the list from Ken Tat it's well worth a good read.

The following user would like to thank youkrst for this post:
tat tvam asi
Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:22 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book King

As we continue along with knowledge on the increase it seems reasonable to conclude that the Christ Myth theory will continue to gain momentum and increase in popularity...

Last edited by tat tvam asi on Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:02 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Finally Comfortable

I thought this was a great comment by Rene Salm about Acharya's mythicist position:

Quote:
"Acharya's video "The Mythicist Position | What is Mythicism?" helps introduce the mythicist position to the masses, and for that I'm thankful. We can already see from online rebuttals and discussion that such efforts are reaching their goal. Well done! Nevertheless, we remain in an early stage of this major paradigm shift, where Jesus mythicism continues to be ignored (with increasing difficulty) by mainstream academia and by the greater public. Hopefully, with efforts such as Acharya's, this viewpoint will be more widely acknowledged and the words "mythicist" and "mythicism" will soon appear in the Oxford English Dictionary. We may also hope for the day when they will appear in textbooks used by New Testament professors."

- Rene Salm

Posted at the mythicist position blog

For further reading see the Evemerist vs. Mythicist Position thread.

Here's the Mythicist Position video

The following user would like to thank FTL99 for this post:
Robert Tulip, tat tvam asi
Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:04 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Freshman

This thread is fascinating to me. I'm going to have to go through and read all the post when I have time so that I can join in on the conversation.

The following user would like to thank Olivia22 for this post:
Chris OConnor, FTL99, tat tvam asi, youkrst
Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:36 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Gold Contributor

Olivia22 wrote:
This thread is fascinating to me. I'm going to have to go through and read all the post when I have time so that I can join in on the conversation.

Hi Olivia, glad you find this material interesting. Christ in Egypt may have been Booktalk's most watched book discussion, so there is plenty of interest in case anyone wishes to reopen the discussion about its big topics.

DM Murdock is a highly controversial writer, unwilling to bend her integrity to conform to convention and bullying. Much of the material she has discovered flies in the face of widely held assumptions about historical events, especially regarding the writing of the Bible and the existence of Jesus Christ.

Many readers jump to hasty bigoted assumptions about this material, instead of showing the courtesy and patience to understand the arguments and the evidence and to examine their own biases. A recent example of this insulting syndrome occurred at the blog Vridar. But rather than focus on the social difficulties of discussing these fascinating topics, which are basically banned everywhere except on the internet, it is better to explore the evidence with an open mind, aiming to reconstruct a scientifically plausible account of Christian origins.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
FTL99, tat tvam asi
Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:20 pm
Profile Email WWW
Finally Comfortable

I would love for people to e-mail the mythicist position video (above) and the link to the article around to their professors of comparative religion courses etc. in order to get their feedback. Please post their feedback and quote them here in the Evemerist vs. Mythicist Position thread.

Also, we are looking for professors and teachers of comparative religion and similar courses who may be interested in including the subject of Astrotheology into existing comparative religion courses and perhaps evolve into its own course. Post that feeback HERE, please.

tat tvam asi
Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:20 am
Finally Comfortable

I figured these links below should be here for readers.

Star Worship of the Ancient Israelites

These below are from Acharya's blog:

Zodiacs on the Floor of Synagogues

2,750-year-old solar-aligned temple discovered in Israel

Did Moses Exist? The Myth of the Israelite Lawgiver

Quote:
"This book is a slightly revised version of my doctoral dissertation entitled “Solar Worship in the Biblical World” which was submitted to the Graduate School of Yale University in the Spring of 1989. As may be judged from the title of that work, I had at one time planned to cover more territory than sun worship in ancient Israel, but found the material pertaining to ancient Israel so vast that I never got beyond it."

- Rev. Dr. J. Glen Taylor, "Yahweh and the Sun: Biblical and Archaeological Evidence for Sun Worship in Ancient Israel" (1993)

"At Stonehenge in England and Carnac in France, in Egypt and Yucatan, across the whole face of the earth are found mysterious ruins of ancient monuments, monuments with astronomical significance. These relics of other times are as accessible as the American Midwest and as remote as the jungles of Guatemala. Some of them were built according to celestial alignments; others were actually precision astronomical observatories ... Careful observation of the celestial rhythms was compellingly important to early peoples, and their expertise, in some respects, was not equaled in Europe until three thousand years later."

- Dr. Edwin Krupp, astronomer and director at Griffith Park Observatory in Los Angeles, 'In Search of Ancient Astronomies,' page xiii. Also quoted in "Suns of God," page 26

"I find it undeniable that many of the epic heroes and ancient patriarchs and matriarchs of the Old Testament were personified stars, planets, and constellations." "I find myself in full agreement with Acharya S/D.M. Murdock"

- Dr. Robert Price, Biblical Scholar with two Ph.D's

Earl Doherty defers to Acharya for the subject of astrotheology:

"A heavenly location for the actions of the savior gods, including the death of Christ, would also have been influenced by most religions' ultimate derivation from astrotheology, as in the worship of the sun and moon. For this dimension of more remote Christian roots, see the books of Acharya S"

- Earl Doherty, Jesus: Neither God Nor Man, (2009) page 153

"Your scholarship is relentless! ...the research conducted by D.M. Murdock concerning the myth of Jesus Christ is certainly both valuable and worthy of consideration."

- Dr. Ken Feder, Professor of Archaeology

"...In recent months or over the last year or so I have interviewed Frank Zindler and Richard Carrier and David Fitzgerald and Robert Price all on the issue of mythicism ... when I spoke to these people I asked for their expertise collectively and what I got, especially from Fitzgerald and Robert Price, was that we should be speaking to tonights guest D.M. Murdock,author of 'Did Moses Exist? The Myth of the Israelite Lawgiver'."

- Aron Ra, The Ra Men podcast EP10 - Did Moses Exist? with D.M. Murdock

"I've known people with triple Ph.D's who haven't come close to the scholarship in Who Was Jesus?"

- Pastor David Bruce, M.Div

"...I have found her scholarship, research, knowledge of the original languages, and creative linkages to be breathtaking and highly stimulating."

- Rev. Dr. Jon Burnham, Pastor

"I can recommend your work whole-heartedly!"

- Dr. Robert Eisenman

Stone Age Zodiac by National Geographic

Jesus Christ, Sun of Righteousness

Unfortunately, Acharya S/Murdock passed away: Acharya S/D.M. Murdock Memoriam

Last edited by FTL99 on Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:40 am, edited 3 times in total.

tat tvam asi, youkrst
Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:33 pm
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

Thank you.

The following user would like to thank Chris OConnor for this post:
FTL99, tat tvam asi, youkrst
Tue Aug 23, 2016 12:34 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
OMG WTF LOL

FTL99 wrote:
Jesus Christ, Sun of Righteousness

Hello FTL99. It's either misinformed or disingenuous to imply that Clement of Alexandria held a mythicist allegorical view of Christ as the sun. He had some odd and unorthodox views, but he certainly maintained that Christ was a real human historical person. Just read his writings.

The mythicist and astrotheological view is largely fueled through the internet and not by scholarly sources qualified in the requisite disciplines.
http://www.academia.eu/9546383/The_Hist ... d_skeptics

Bad link here. Google, The historicity of Jesus, a guide to proponents and skeptics: if you want to see the article.

FTL99 wrote:
These below are from Acharya's blog:

Zodiacs on the Floor of Synagogues

2,750-year-old solar-aligned temple discovered in Israel

Stone Age Zodiac by National Geographic

Nothing it seems will shake the convictions of stalwart mythicists,but it's worth throwing out a caveat emptor to the unwary.

With all due respect to Acharya S,her writings are particularly poor from a factual and scholarly perspective,to say nothing of common sense,I'm sorry to have say.
http://www.tektonics.org/af/achy01.php

Last edited by Flann 5 on Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:23 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:09 pm
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Book King

Did you really just post a link to Tecktonics to try and refute the mythicist material? That's got to be lowest of the low concerning apologetics.....

Last edited by tat tvam asi on Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 24, 2016 5:55 pm
Profile Email
OMG WTF LOL

tat tvam asi wrote:
Did you really just post a link to Tecktonics to try and refute the mythicist material? That's got to be lowest of the low concerning apologetics.....

You may not like his style Tat,but what particular points can you refute? Take the extremely late dates given in "The Christ Conspiracy" for the gospels for instance.Can you name a single qualified N.T. scholar and textual critic that remotely agrees with these late dates?

Not even skeptical textual critics like Ehrman would agree with these and for obvious scholarly reasons like the dating of papyri fragments among others. Early church fathers like Ignatius and others quote from the gospels so they must have existed at that time for them to be able to quote from them.

The reality is that the astrological interpretations given are both absurd and contradictory. Christ was not crucified at the Winter solstice but at Passover which is in the Spring so all these parallels about the 'crucifixion' of the sun at the winter solstice,which is itself nonsense, can't match even on this one point.

There is no biblical justification for dating Christ's birth on December 25th which has been pointed out even by other mythicists like Carrier.

What was introduced later by the Catholic church is irrelevant to the primary documents.

I appreciate you may find the style annoying but mythicists should address the substantial arguments and references. Scholars of Tacitus don't agree with your conspiracy theory either.

Tacitus confirms both Christianity's origin in Jerusalem and Christ's crucifixion by Pilate.

The idea that Christianity originated in Alexandria in the second century is supported by no reputable historian or scholar.
There was obviously a Christian church in Rome at the time Paul wrote his letter to them which is dated around 60 A.D. if memory serves, so it was already well established at the time it was written.

Whether the Roman Christians had a written copy of a gospel at that time is debatable but they clearly knew the gospel message as Paul makes clear in his letter. That's how they became Christians,by believing this message.

To suggest that Paul is writing in Romans about the sun and zodiac is nonsense,and in terms of justification by faith in the sun's alleged 'death and resurrection' ,not to mention his clear dismissal of pagan religious concepts in chapter one, which on mythicism he's supposed to be advocating!

No, Romans is clearly dealing with man's moral standing before God and the need for righteousness and reconciliation which can not be achieved by keeping the moral law. It could be achieved by keeping the moral law perfectly, but we don't so we have a problem.

To posit on astrotheology, that Paul is saying that believing in the physical sun's 'death and resurrection' would confer moral righteousness is to spectacularly misunderstand all of these concepts of morality,law, righteousness and justification.

I've been over Doherty's arguments about Paul's supposed "non historical sub lunar Christ" and these do not stand up to textual scrutiny of these letters including Hebrews.

So you dislike criticism of mythicism and astrotheology, but there are good and substantial reasons for why they are false.

No one disputes that paganism included worship of the sun, moon,stars and the natural cycles,or that there was an astrological element to this in paganism,but to suggest that this or anything like this,is what Paul and the apostles were teaching is ridiculous.

Last edited by Flann 5 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:27 am, edited 7 times in total.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:03 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

Gold Contributor

Hi FTL and Tat, nice to see you commenting here. Booktalk tends to be free and easy about allowing moronic fundy trolls to post, as long as they are not too rabid in their insults to reason. I would not quite put Flann5 in that category since he is generally polite and mostly factual and intelligent within his religious framework. That framework does however have a few major areas of stupidity, such as rejection on principle of a naturalistic worldview, belief in Biblical inerrancy, creationism and a supernaturalist interventionist God, failure to appreciate that scriptural meaning is more symbolic than literal, and interest in kooky sites such as Tektonics. Given those limits, you might find it challenging to have a constructive conversation with him.

The following user would like to thank Robert Tulip for this post:
FTL99
Thu Aug 25, 2016 4:01 am
Profile Email WWW
OMG WTF LOL

Robert Tulip wrote:
I would not quite put Flann5 in that category since he is generally polite and mostly factual and intelligent within his religious framework. That framework does however have a few major areas of stupidity, such as rejection on principle of a naturalistic worldview, belief in Biblical inerrancy, creationism and a supernaturalist interventionist God, failure to appreciate that scriptural meaning is more symbolic than literal, and interest in kooky sites such as Tektonics.

Hi Robert, How are you? I don't question your intelligence either but you are wedded to a philosophical naturalist worldview. Yes I believe God created the universe. How do you account for it? Did it create itself?
You make the laws of nature primary,but without nature itself there are no inherent laws so what made nature and it's laws?

Are the universal,abstract (not material) laws of logic just conventions or produced by Dan Barker's brain? What about the informational reality of D.N.A. Information is neither matter or energy. So you have laws of nature,abstract laws of logic and non material information. How do you account for these non material realities in a naturalistic material world of cause and effect?
What caused them?

As far as innerancy is concerned I point to prophecy and fulfillment as evidence. It's disputed by skeptics but I've given arguments elsewhere in relation to various prophecies debating against the arguments of the skeptics in these cases.
People should judge these on the relative merits of the arguments.

I'm not completely literalist but context and genres are considered. I do think the historical books are historical. If God exists as I believe he does then supernatural intervention is reasonable at times, and while the universe functions according to the laws God has established, it's not reasonable that the creator of these laws must himself be bound by them.

You have a particular theory about the cosmos and some astronomical data which you link with astrological ages. I can't say I fully understand your theory, but in all honesty and without intending to be insulting about it,the astrotheological biblical interpretations are just trying to stick square pegs in round holes. Astrotheology doesn't really make a good hermeneutic for interpreting the bible, and when applied, tends towards absurdity,in my view.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:09 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership

BookTalk.org Owner
Diamond Contributor 3

Highscores: 6

I hope all of you consider joining this discussion of God: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction - by Dan Barker, foreword by Richard Dawkins

Even if we assume the God of the Bible to be real this book makes a legitimate argument for why no rational moral person should respect or worship that deity. Obviously, Christians will disagree. But it will prove interesting to see what sort of justifications Christians offer for the atrocities committed in the Bible by their God.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:38 am
Profile Email WWW
OMG WTF LOL

Chris OConnor wrote:
I hope all of you consider joining this discussion of God: The Most Unpleasant Character in All Fiction - by Dan Barker, foreword by Richard Dawkins

Even if we assume the God of the Bible to be real this book makes a legitimate argument for why no rational moral person should respect or worship that deity. Obviously, Christians will disagree. But it will prove interesting to see what sort of justifications Christians offer for the atrocities committed in the Bible by their God.

What I find Chris,with the new atheist arguments is a lot of distortion. Walker,Dawkins and I expect Barker make statements about racist ethnic genocide for example.
Christians point out that the Canaanites were judged for their abominations and evil practices including child sacrifice. Also that God warned the Israelites that if they did the same things" the land would vomit them out" in the same way.

To just assert it's racist genocide is to deliberately ignore what these accounts themselves are saying.

To take another example where I assume Barker's charge of God being filicidal refers to his view that God "murdered his son". Here again in Phillipians 2 Christ is described as being co-equal with the Father and voluntarily assuming the position of a servant and humbling himself to become human and offer his life as an atonement for mans sins.

No one who is co-equal in power and being could be coerced to do anything they were not willing to do. So it's just simplistic then to say that God murdered his son.
Rather it's an expression of God's love that rather than just condemn men for their sins he provides a just basis for forgiveness in becoming human and enduring himself the just penalty for rebellion against God.

I don't say there aren't difficulties as when the Israelites are told not to spare the children in some cases. Still even this has to be viewed in an eternal context which is alien to atheist thought, but an integral part of the biblical view.

A consequentialist evaluation of future moral and other effects is impossible for humans but not for God. So if God is the giver of all life who is to say he can not take that life, though death is not the end of existence from a biblical view anyway.

So God may have just and sufficient reasons for doing this taking these factors into account.

What annoys me is the sheer laziness of the new atheist critics in ignoring contexts and clear statements such as the reasons for the judgement on the Canaanites.

For the most part it involved driving them out and if they chose to stand and fight that was their choice. In the biblical context they were well aware of the miraculous deliverance from Egypt and that they were dealing with God. They also knew their practices were morally reprehensible as they had consciences just like us.

Besides whenever people repented God did not bring judgement as with Ninevah.

Of course atheists don't believe these are historical accounts or that these miraculous events occurred but as Peter J Williams points out,the morality must be judged while maintaining the internal integrity of the accounts with all the supernatural aspects included.
I've provided a couple of responses from Williams and Copan and am not inclined to be constantly correcting the sloppiness of Barker and co in terms of all they ignore, and the contexts of various accounts.

It's strange too that they miss the central message of God providing a basis for reconciliation by enduring the penalty of man's rebellion against him.
It's sad and even perverse to then make this into an argument that God is so evil he "murdered his own son."

Last edited by Flann 5 on Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 25, 2016 9:48 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 146 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next