Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:01 am

<< Week of December 08, 2016 >>
Thursday Friday Saturday Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday
8 Day Month

9 Day Month

10 Day Month

11 Day Month

12 Day Month

13 Day Month

14 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Ch. 1 - The Mystery of Being 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
I issue my own library cards!

BookTalk.org Moderator
Silver Contributor 2

Post Re: Ch. 1 - The Mystery of Being
WONK wrote:
It is very possible that at some future time M-theory will be replaced but at this monent in the universe nothing else is there to frame the question on what to look for next but M-theory.

Maybe I just didn't get it, but after reading Hawking's book, I'm no closer to understanding why he and others think that M-theory is so promising.

I realize we're dealing with difficult theories, but I don't have much understanding of quantum theory beyond a superficial level either, yet I have read books that at least gave me some insight into what it's all about. (Of course, I'm criticizing Hawking's book rather than the theory itself.)

Last edited by Dexter on Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:26 am
Profile Email
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
Almost Comfortable

Post Re: Ch. 1 - The Mystery of Being
M-Theory is just as hard to understand as Quantum Mechanics and it is half a century younger so there are not as many examples created to make it easier to understand. Basically it comes down to that because of the imprints left in our 4-D universe there is enough evidence that there are more dimensions (this has been shown by both the standard theory and string--this has been known for 60 years) also there are artifacts in the mathematics used every day that indicate that there are multiple universes. When you combine these bits of information you get M-theory. But it isn't a theory most people think about but a framework from standard theory, string theory and multiple universes (from the mathematics) that tells us which questions to ask next and how to put the parts that don't overlap, such as Relativity and Quantum, together so you can transfer the information from one field into another. Because it is more of a question and transfer method than a new theory that explains physical events by itself many scientists don't like it and want to find and use something better. But most of the scientists doing the very advanced work in these fields think that it is the best we can do for now. The reason is that, since quantum, scientists have started to accept that uncertainty has to be included in the advanced sciences we are not working in and M-theory is framed around the uncertainties. It is a version of the uncertainty principle but for how different theories interact.

Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:45 am
Profile Email
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 47 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4