• In total there are 17 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 16 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Carly Simon biography

Authors are invited and encouraged to showcase their NON-FICTION books exclusively within this forum.
JimReader

Carly Simon biography

Unread post

Hi everyone.

I'm new here and also a huge fan of singer Carly Simon. There is a new biography out, MORE ROOM IN A BROKEN HEART, by author Stephen Davis.

I wanted to start a discussion concerning this book to alert potential readers that this is not true biography or has Carly's approval in any way or form despite misleading statements made by the book. You can go to Carly's own website to read an official disclaimer regarding the book.

The book is a clip job collection of uncredited quotes from other sources. The author did little original research of his own - what is the author's own actual contributions are fabrications. He "borrowed" freely from other sources. Authors Sheila Weller (Girls Like Us) and Roger Friedman have both blogged about their concern and unhappiness that their researched and published works have been quoted in this book without citation.

The author did not interview Carly Simon, her family, nor her friends or ANY musicians or producers Carly has worked with over the 40+ years of her career.

For other Carly fans out there, I wanted to set the record straight concerning this book.

Thank you.

Jim
fionamc
Getting Comfortable

Re: Carly Simon biography

Unread post

Hi Jim..thanks for letting us know. I too love Carly Simon's music..definitely will not be getting this bio !!
Fiona :!:
fionamc
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

Jim..as I am a newbie too..I was interested to know what books do you like to read. Can you recommend some good biographies !
jacton
Official Newbie!

Unread post

I too am a fan but it is disappointed to see that an biography has been written apparently without permission of the featured artist. This is surely wrong.

I read the latest book on Michael Jackson by his brother Jermaine only to find out it was ghost written by somebody else.

I like to read biographies and autobiographies but I also like to see them actually written by either the featured person on somebody very close.

I have just read a book called A Turnkey or Not? by Tony Levy this is written by him about his life and was very good. Despite being an unknown at least he had the courage to attempt to write it himself.

I can understand why some people would write a book about a celebrity but to call it a biography when they do not even seem to have had the approval from the featured person seems wrong to me.

Return to “Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!”