• In total there are 15 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 14 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 851 on Thu Apr 18, 2024 2:30 am

Can you afford the Affordable Care Act?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Re: Can you afford the Affordable Care Act?

Unread post

I, for one, welcome our new insect overlords.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKbFb6TPVEA
-Geo
Question everything
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Thanks for asking.

To be honest, I would have never tackled healthcare. A majority of Americans already had it, and there were options if you did not.
You're dismissive of a problem that was massive by anyone's account.
I'm not meaning to be dismissive, Interbane, and I respect your passion on this issue, but the President just gave all these health insurance companies new customers. Can anyone see this for what it really is?

Despite Glitches, Obamacare Profit Windfall To Insurers Well Underway

http://www.chicagotribune.com/features/ ... 7355.story

By the way, I don’t buy into conspiracies.

I just think he chose an easy out.
Last edited by Brooks127 on Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

I'm not meaning to be dismissive, Interbane, and I respect your passion on this issue, but the President just gave all these health insurance companies new customers. Can anyone see this for what it really is?
Actually, that wasn't dismissive at all. It reaffirms my belief that we should have tried to fix the problem in the opposite direction. Really, if profits are going up, what is the justification for raising premiums on people? It's not to cover costs, apparently.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
Nick2
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

Well, we are into the thick of the healthcare maze/mess. I just signed up for the new Humana Plan most similar to the Humana Plan I have with Medicare that they are canceling. $44/mo down from $52/mo. You could have knocked me over with a feather! And it was done over the phone after only a minimal wait.

My wife then called Humana for coverage. They don't offer coverage for her; she is not under Medicare, has no insurance, and she/we are not in their coverage region in Louisiana. Go figger. So she checked Blue Cross Blue Shield $134/mo. Found her way to a broker, $525/mo for what he called "that Obama thing."

The sharks are in a feeding frenzy among the minnows. It's crazy. Or natural. Take your pick.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Interbane wrote:
Actually, that wasn't dismissive at all. It reaffirms my belief that we should have tried to fix the problem in the opposite direction. Really, if profits are going up, what is the justification for raising premiums on people? It's not to cover costs, apparently.
Well, ultimately, and this just may prove to be a bright side, the ACA limits the health insurance company's profits.

"They are also required to spend at least 80–85% of premium dollars on health costs and claims instead of administrative costs and profits; rebates must be issued to policyholders if this is violated."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Pr ... e_Care_Act
-Geo
Question everything
Brooks127
Senior
United States of America

Unread post

Thanks for the clarification Geo. That's good to know.

Also, thanks for sharing your story Nick. Sorry to hear about the increase.

Read this article NYT: Say, ObamaCare doesn’t really lower costs in rural areas

http://hotair.com/archives/2013/10/24/n ... ral-areas/

Question. If your premium goes up are you supposed to just be happy about it?

I get the impression that a lot of people are wanting to focus on the positives, with the only negative being the website, but fail to consider the folks who are living on fixed incomes and are getting kicked off plans they freely chose to have. What about them?

My father used to say, “It's not a crime to be poor, but it's a sin to make a person feel poor."

I live in rural America where money is tight. Sure, people could move, but where one chooses to live is a choice.

I feel like people are putting rural Americans down because of our lack of opportunities.

Seems this law is punishing people who can barely get by.

As an American who cares, I think we can do better than divide the country.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

Of course not, but that's also not a reason to have stood still on the issue of healthcare. A person going bankrupt after their insurance company cancels their policy when they are diagnosed with cancer is a bigger evil than a person having their premium raised.
I feel like people are putting rural Americans down because of our lack of opportunities.

Seems this law is punishing people who can barely get by.
I don't follow your logic.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

The fiasco so far is what we've recently learned. That millions will not be able to keep the (perhaps substandard) plans they have has shaken my faith in the President. I could overlook the website malfunctions, and I'm willing personally to pay a little more if it means that we move into the company of the rest of the advanced world, but his repeated assurances that no one would be forced out of their plan I can see no way to mitigate. He either lied to us hoping we'd be too happy with the ACA to hold it against him, or he's guilty of near-impeachable ignorance about his own plan. I'm deeply disappointed.
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

for some reason or other i keep hearing this in my mind's ear :)
You know something, they don’t want people that are smart enough to sit around their kitchen table and figure out how badly they’re getting fucked by a system that threw them overboard 30 fucking years ago.” – George Carlin
http://investmentwatchblog.com/if-this- ... st-moment/
Nick2
Eligible to vote in book polls!

Unread post

It boggles my mind to hear of something (health coverage) which is too expensive for our Government to afford.
Too expensive? With our Government's full taxing power available to fund it? I can't imagine such a thing.

What I can imagine is that they are chicken about the political impact of raising the necessary taxes and are looking to offload the problem onto someone else's shoulders.

The private health care industry will gladly pick up the burden (for a Government guaranteed profit) and the Government will gladly add yet another bureaucracy (called overhead) to "manage" the health care industry -- two additional unnecessary expenses.

So the private sector will gladly accept all the new customers, do the dirty work of raising taxes (erm, premiums), collect their profits and laugh all the way to the bank.

What a way to "solve" a problem!

And they say Republicans are friendly to business. /shaking head/

Return to “Current Events & History”