• In total there are 17 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 17 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

"Caliban Upon Setebos"

A platform to express and share your enthusiasm and passion for poetry. What are your treasured poems and poets? Don't hesitate to showcase the poems you've penned yourself!
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

"Caliban Upon Setebos"

Unread post

We just had three in a row by Robt. Browning, and it's hard for me to resist talking about one of my favorite long poems, one by him called "Caliban Upon Setebos," subtitled "Natural Theology in the Island." Anybody read it? It's entertaining as well as interesting from the standpoint of evolution. Browning takes Caliban, a minor, humanoid character from "The Tempest" and imagines him in a monologue concerning his god, Setebos. A trick to reading the poem is to catch on that Caliban almost never uses either his own name or the pronoun "I," for fear of being discovered by Setebos. So Browning uses an apostrophe to take the place of "Caliban" or "I." Other than that, it's straightforward. I'd be happy to discuss this poem with anyone.

http://rpo.library.utoronto.ca/poem/267.html

Return to “A Passion for Poetry”