• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Belief in god(s) is superstition based

#52: Aug. - Sept. 2008 (Non-Fiction)
Stephen Uhl
Getting Comfortable

Belief in god(s) is superstition based

Unread post

The reader can come up with more than 50 reasons for believing if that reader is superstitious. "The central concept of superstition as understood throughout this book [namely Imagine No Superstition] is very close to the concept as defined by Webser: belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation." (p. 31)
Once reason is no longer a person's Highest Power, insecurity and fear quickly let superstition take over. And, once that happens, literally anything can be believed or cooked up as a reason for believing in something that is imagined to be greater than the well-functioning human mind. To counter or guard against such resultant insanity, we need to present our youngsters with good scientific or fact-based education so that they achieve good self-confidence and self-esteem levels. Then they will not go looking for new reasons to believe superstitiously.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Science education is definitely vital to conquering irrational thinking.

I'd say these are the most important areas of study....

1. Science
2. Critical Thinking
3. Comparative Religion
Lawrence

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
Senior

A different perspective

Unread post

Steven, it appears to me from yours and Mr. Harrison's book you are not considering what I think is fundamental in this discussion of is there a god or not. Here is my review of 50 reasons. I look forward to your reply to this post.

Like everyone else whose review I've read, I also found the author's presentation of this topic "Is there a god(s) is there no god(s)" respectful. That is so refreshing when most of the literature is polemic and does little to advance understanding of the issues. Mr. Harrison's book is an apologetic for those who choose to not believe there is god(s). I recommend the book to those who do believe there is a god. Mr. Harrison's rebuttal of the 50 reasons people give for believing in a god do show the truth of Mr. Harris' statement in his Letter to the Christian Nation "If people believed in anything else the way they believe in god they would be certified delusional." It might give those who believe there is a god some humility if they could better understand how silly they look to an outsider. I would not recommend this book to those who do not believe in a god because Mr. Harrison is preaching to the choir. Please excuse my mixing of metaphors. He tromps on very tromped ground and brings nothing new to the public discourse other than well phrased rebuttals.

I pluralized rebuttal and that is an error. Mr. Harrison makes one rebuttal 48 times. In Chapter 6, his logic was so corrupted I could not make heads or tails of what he was saying. His one rebuttal is "since believers cannot prove there is a god it is much more rational for them to believe there is no god" and be like us (non believers).

Such logic is flawed. He is criticizing not proving the improvable is therefore making another improvable (there is no god), true. The 50 topics in this book are simply foils for Mr. Harrison to make his argument. I found his argument to be similar to an eight year olds argument "My daddy is bigger than your daddy."

Beliefs are exactly what the dictionary says they are "acceptance by the mind that something is true or real, often underpinned by an emotional or spiritual sense of certainty." This is America. We are privileged to believe what ever we want. Our law lets my belief go right up to your nose. I cannot trespass. All of the uproar about this topic is the result of both sides failing to acknowledge the truth that the answer about god is that there is no answer only belief and the furor is the result of intolerance and American government's lack of neutrality on this subject.

Do I, like Mr. Harrison, know people who are irrational, psychotic, and neurotic in their belief in god? Of course! Folks are irrational about many things. What makes it special to be irrational about god(s)? What is a 350 pound man or women who is 5' 2" tall eating a second double cheeseburger? What is the fruitcake who sends spam? What is A Rod doing that is inconsistent with being a hero to youngsters? Believe it or not, I've been irrational, psychotic and neurotic on certain subjects at certain times. I suspicion you have too. It is inappropriate behavior for me to make anyone else behave in a manner that is pleasing to me. That is tyrannical. I say to Mr. Harrison "pick you fights but do a better job of knowing what the issue is you are addressing and offer a solution that is realistic."
Stephen Uhl
Getting Comfortable

Laurenceindestin

Unread post

I think Mr. Harrison will perhaps want to reply to your remarks. You might get enjoy some further insights by reading all of Imagine No Superstition. Enjoy.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
One more post ought to do it.

Unread post

I would like to try to differentiate between 'superstition' and 'religion'.

I am not superstitious - in the sense of looking for omens and belief in magic charms. The cross for example is an instrument of torture, why wear it as jewellery?

When I went to visit Santiago di Compostella - I was saddened to see the market stalls all around, for the purchase of religious relics and various paraphernalia.......That is superstition.

When I walked up the cathedral steps there was a beggar there at the top and no one was donating or even appeared to notice him. - but if some one asks you for help......you don't ask 'why?' you just help......that is 'my' religion......nothing to do with supersition.

Many an atheist would have helped him just out of natural goodness, I know....but my religion, spirituality...does prompt me.....because I don't think I am naturally good or compassionate. I recognise this because I am married to one atheist who is.
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world is mad....

Rafael Sabatini
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Good post, Penelope.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Well, Thank you Chris!

Bless You! :laugh:
Only those become weary of angling who bring nothing to it but the idea of catching fish.

Rafael Sabatini
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Stephen, I think saying "religion is superstition-based" is a little too simplistic. Yes, some people are religious because of superstitions, but not everyone is superstitious. Penelope claims to not be superstitious. Perhaps I don't fully understand your argument.

For the individual that gives Reason # 32: Millions of people can't be wrong about my religion, they are not displaying superstitious tendencies, but are actually committing the logical fallacy of Appeal to Popularity.

http://www.nizkor.org/features/fallacie ... arity.html

It would take much effort to force all "50 reasons" given by author Guy P. Harrison into a matter of superstitious beliefs. Where am I going wrong?
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

Stephen, after going back to your first post in this thread I'm now thinking we're probably more in agreement than not.
The central concept of superstition as understood throughout this book [namely Imagine No Superstition] is very close to the concept as defined by Webser: belief or practice resulting from ignorance, fear of the unknown, trust in magic or chance, or a false conception of causation.
When you expand the word "superstition" to include all of the above characteristics I do indeed agree that all religious belief is superstitious. Faith is derived from ignorance, lack of education, poor critical thinking skills, lack of exposure to competing ideas, base fears, etc... If these are elements of superstition than I am 100% behind your thesis.
Penelope

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Chris - It would be scientific and sensible...to eradicate all 'weak genes' in the human race.

All the kids who are 'Down's Syndrome' (for instance) would have to go.....that would be sensible.

But we LOVE them....they are lovable.....which is not sensible...but it is human.....THAT...is what religion is about....

This 'love' thing is a bloody nuisance....but it is the 'God' part of us...and it is not simple to sort.....

It is about 'love' which is an emotional response....not rational.....but I would like you to accept that everything which is emotional....is not superstition......and I bloody well know...you feel it too!!

Rafael Sabatini

Return to “50 reasons people give for believing in a god - by Guy P. Harrison”