• In total there are 3 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 3 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 616 on Thu Jan 18, 2024 7:47 pm

Assuming evolution is factual, what do you think is the next step in our evolution?

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Re: Assuming evolution is factual, what do you think is the next step in our evolution?

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:Ina you FACE dexter!

haha

Scrumfish is right.
:busted:

For Scrumfish, I didn't indicate it but everyone who knew me understood it was a lame attempt at sarcasm
scrumfish
Sophomore
United States of America

Re: Assuming evolution is factual, what do you think is the next step in our evolution?

Unread post

Dexter wrote:
johnson1010 wrote:Ina you FACE dexter!

haha

Scrumfish is right.
:busted:

For Scrumfish, I didn't indicate it but everyone who knew me understood it was a lame attempt at sarcasm
Hehe, I was absolutely not trying to be in your face. And yeah, I've been a member of the forum for years but have been inactive for quite a few years. I'm dipping my toes back in the waters because it's nice to be able to discuss things from the perspective of evolution as a fact without having to argue it all the time and really enjoy that about this forum. Hopefully I'll stick around long enough to enjoy your sarcastic wit. I'm a bit sarcastic myself and have to watch out for that when dealing in text format! That and my giant potty mouth.

Also, sign me up for that third arm and beak. How awesome would that be? :D
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

No way of knowing because evolution essentially describes what is seen and pieces together what was.
It is descriptive more than it is predictive. Good theories are predictive and based on mathematics.

At what point did hominids become human and was that a predictable occurrence?
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:No way of knowing because evolution essentially describes what is seen and pieces together what was.
It is descriptive more than it is predictive. Good theories are predictive and based on mathematics.

Still holding out on evolution?

http://www.talkorigins.org/indexcc/CA/CA210.html

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1 ... WMglWATWMk
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I siad it is MORE descriptive than predictive. I didnt say it's not at all predictive.
And no one here is holding out on evolution.

Dexter dont read too well, people. He just reacts a lot.

Not necessary to be Darwin's Bulldog, bruh. He already had one.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

It's very true that evolution is in general descriptive rather than predictive. Would any biologist disagree with that? But its inability to be significantly predictive doesn't make it a "bad" theory. It's just the nature of this particular study. Theories have different areas of strength.

We can't possibly predict what the next "step" in our evolution might be, if there is one.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:No way of knowing because evolution essentially describes what is seen and pieces together what was.

It sounds like you are implying that evolution is therefore not a "good theory."

Perhaps you can help me with reading comprehension. Was this not your implication?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

DWill wrote:It's very true that evolution is in general descriptive rather than predictive. Would any biologist disagree with that? But its inability to be significantly predictive doesn't make it a "bad" theory. It's just the nature of this particular study. Theories have different areas of strength.

We can't possibly predict what the next "step" in our evolution might be, if there is one.
I appreciate your balanced responses, DWill. And I agree with what you wrote.

Naturally, claimijg what Ive said is the same thing as saying the theory of evolution is a bad theory would be a strawman, tailored to wail against. (Not saying you are).

But evolution does not generate strong theories that are generate predictions based on mathematics.
STRONG theories do (ie quantum theory, physics).

Going back to what I wrote: there was no way a prediction could have been made that would have foretold the rise of consciousness. At some point the chasm between primate intelligence and human consciousness was crossed. Might another cognitive chasm crossing await in the future? Is it mathematically predictable by our current theory? Of course not. Our current theory is not nearly strong enough or complete enough. It has holes in it.

A simpler question (questions about consciousness are too hard) might be what species will roam the amazon forests in a thousand years?
Can evolution predict that? To my knowledgr it cant.

Its been said the book of nature is written in mathematics.
Evolution is not mathematically predictive. It's great at explaining what we see and what it is we dig up and what it may have developed from, but it's weak in key explanatory areas.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Dexter wrote:

It sounds like you are implying that evolution is therefore not a "good theory."

Perhaps you can help me with reading comprehension. Was this not your implication?
Im not making anything "sound" bad.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: Im not making anything "sound" bad.
Let me help you with your own logic. You have a short memory and poor reasoning skills.
ant wrote:Good theories are predictive and based on mathematics.
ant wrote:Evolution is not mathematically predictive.
Implied conclusion: Evolution is not a good theory.

Do you not see that?

Maybe you should learn a little more about what evolutionary theory is and why predicting a species a thousand years from now is a silly thing to expect. You're at maybe 7th grade comprehension right now.

Return to “Science & Technology”