• In total there are 54 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 54 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Ask an atheist

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Ask an atheist

Unread post

I'm following the lead of one of our new members.

http://www.booktalk.org/ask-a-christian-t25647.html

If you have any questions you want to ask of someone who is an atheist, plop them down here!

I don't speak for all atheists, and there's no guarantee that I'm right about anything! But if you ask me something, i'll make an honest effort to answer!
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: Ask an atheist

Unread post

How on earth did you possibly manage to turn atheism into a evangelical religious-like crusade against Religion in general?
MarieMattenson24
Almost Comfortable

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:I'm following the lead of one of our new members.

http://www.booktalk.org/ask-a-christian-t25647.html

If you have any questions you want to ask of someone who is an atheist, plop them down here!

I don't speak for all atheists, and there's no guarantee that I'm right about anything! But if you ask me something, i'll make an honest effort to answer!
How do you explain science? As a Christian I look at science and I think "wow! Lookie what God did! That's so cool!" How do you see it? Have you ever looked at science and caught yourself in a state of awe at its complexity? How do you explain and define that moment of awe and the complexity?
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:How on earth did you possibly manage to turn atheism into a evangelical religious-like crusade against Religion in general?
Marketing.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
I dumpster dive for books!
United States of America

Unread post

MarieMattenson24 wrote: How do you explain science? As a Christian I look at science and I think "wow! Lookie what God did! That's so cool!" How do you see it? Have you ever looked at science and caught yourself in a state of awe at its complexity? How do you explain and define that moment of awe and the complexity?
I'll jump in here and attempt an answer if you don't mind.

It used to be thought that the Earth was the center of universe, and we had no idea what stars or planets were — it seemed obvious that humans had a central place in the universe. Now we know a lot more about the universe, and there is no reason to think that at all — sorry if that seems more depressing, the truth doesn’t care how you feel. It appears that the vast majority of the universe is totally inhospitable to life.

It used to be “obvious” that the incredible adaptions and complexity of life could only be explained by an intelligent designer, anyone who lived for most of history would have thought that. Now many Christians accept evolution because of the overwhelming evidence, and think that the big mystery is how God created the first primitive replicating organism — I find that much less awe-inspiring that what science can now explain, how you go from that to the variety of complex life. Just saying “God must have set everything in motion” only trivializes it, that doesn’t add anything.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Yes of course..life as we know it.
The universe is inhospitable to our form of life.

We have yet to develope definitive definitions for:

Life
Intelligence

Nor can we overcome the habit of anthropomorphizing the two, particularly intelligence.
The tendency to view intelligence as an archetype that corresponds to "humanness" is an error in reasoning. Evolutionary intelligence is full of holes.

Im sorry, but thats the truth, Dexter.
And the truth does not care what you think or feel about it.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote: Nor can we overcome the habit of anthropomorphizing the two, particularly intelligence.
The tendency to view intelligence as an archetype that corresponds to "humanness" is an error in reasoning. Evolutionary intelligence is full of holes.

Im sorry, but thats the truth, Dexter.
And the truth does not care what you think or feel about it.
Not sure what strawman you're responding to, it has nothing to do with anything I said.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

You said the universe is inhospitable to life.
Thats what I was commenting on, bozo.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I stand corrected:

You said the universe is TOTALLY inhospitable to life.

Thanks.
Dexter

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:You said the universe is inhospitable to life.
Thats what I was commenting on, bozo.
I was talking about how religion puts humanity at the center of the universe. You seem to be agreeing with me that the universe does not support that view, but you're arguing about something, not sure what. If we find non-terrestrial life, it would be another reason to dismiss all human religions, whose Gods don't seem to be aware of anything outside of a 500 mile radius.

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”