• In total there are 7 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 7 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Art AND Science

Engage in conversations about worldwide religions, cults, philosophy, atheism, freethought, critical thinking, and skepticism in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Re: Art AND Science

Unread post

ant wrote:But I disagree science is objective. it aims at objectivity, but as theories are in a constant state of flux, it's subject to revision and therefore does not offer objectivity.
Perfect objectivity isn't achievable, in any fashion. If the concept of objectivity is to be useful at all outside of being an ideal, then science is more objective than any other enterprise. It boils down to your definition of objectivity. However you parse it, science is far more objective than art.
ant wrote:As an evolutionary function to benefit the fitness of our species, wouldn't emotion be inextricably linked to reality?
If you reread my lengthy post above, you'll see that it's all inextricably linked. Intelligence and emotion and even reality, if you wish. The separations we create for discussion are arbitrary. A snowflake can be considered natural art, or rock formations, or the sunset.

You'll have to explain what your point is by asking those questions. I'm not sure if I even answered them.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

geo wrote:How many geologists still argue that Earth is more than 6,000 years old? That the earth and planets revolve around the sun? That the diversity of life on Earth is explained by evolution? How many doctors at the National Institutes of Health are still trying to prove that there are tiny organisms we can’t see with the naked eye? How controversial is the evidence for Pangaea?
Science should have just stopped right there! D'Oh! We could'a been Objective! :slap:
Changing things in response to new informa.....dang it, it's up to everyone now, it is all subjective!
But Bach vs. Beethoven? Or Renoir vs. VanGogh? Whew! That IS timeless objectivity!
Last edited by LanDroid on Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Unread post

LanDroid wrote:
geo wrote:How many geologists still argue that Earth is more than 6,000 years old? That the earth and planets revolve around the sun? That the diversity of life on Earth is explained by evolution? How many doctors at the National Institutes of Health are still trying to prove that there are tiny organisms we can’t see with the naked eye? How controversial is the evidence for Pangaea?
Ohhh! We should have just stopped right there! D'Oh! We could'a been Objective! :slap:
Changing things in response to new informa.....dang it, it's up to everyone now, it is all subjective!
But a symphony? Or Renoir vs. VanGogh? Whew! That IS objective!

are you effin serious?
is that how you're interpreting this conversation I've started?

WTF is wrong with you?
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:
Wouldn't you say a Beethoven masterpiece is "timeless" whereas scientific laws are not because they are in a state of constant flux?

But I disagree science is objective. it aims at objectivity, but as theories are in a constant state of flux, it's subject to revision and therefore does not offer objectivity.
Etc...
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25

Return to “Religion & Philosophy”