• In total there are 18 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 18 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

Arduino microcontroller board

Engage in discussions encompassing themes like cosmology, human evolution, genetic engineering, earth science, climate change, artificial intelligence, psychology, and beyond in this forum.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Arduino microcontroller board

Unread post

I just launched into a new hobby that is cool enough that I thought some BT members might be interested. First off, Arduino is an open-source electronics platform that is taking the hobby world by a storm. In the old days, you could make your own electronics projects only by soldering circuits and wires together. Arduino makes it possible to make the same kinds of circuits and projects on what is called a "breadboard" (no soldering required) and control them using simple programming instructions downloaded from your computer.

Anyway, I just bought the Arduino starter kit ($80 from Amazon) which includes a bunch of diodes and wires and switches along with the Arduino Uno microcontroller. The book takes you through 15 simple projects that even newbies like me can grasp. Here's what Project 1 looks like. It really is just a simple circuit that uses the power from the Arduino Uno to a switch that, when pushed, lights up an LED light.

Push the button, the LED lights up. How cool is that? You can follow the path of electricity from the red wire on the Uno (left) over to the positive power bus on the white breadboard on the right. From there the electrons flow through the diode to the same strip that the pushbutton is on. When you push the button it closes the circuit. It jumps over the red jumper to the positive terminal of the LED and then down through the negative terminal across another jumper back to the negative power bus on the left of the breadboard.

More info here:

https://www.arduino.cc/
-Geo
Question everything
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Re: Arduino microcontroller board

Unread post

Geo,
You might want to racially profile yourself before going any further. If you're caucasian, cool! If not, don't show your projects to ANYONE! :(
http://www.cnn.com/2015/09/17/us/texas- ... index.html

I've seen a lot of stuff on Arduino, but never understood what it's about 'til you posted this example. Ham radio geeks come up with projects based on this, I may check it out. Thanks!
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

looks like tons of fun

damn time premium, you can sell it but you can't buy it back

http://hacknmod.com/hack/create-techno- ... aser-harp/
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Those are great for tinkering at home. I have a few motorized storage pulley systems in the works. Much easier to use arduino than an army of wired limit switches. Now I just need to finish what I started. My tinkering cubicle looks like a mad laboratory.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams

Return to “Science & Technology”