• In total there are 2 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 2 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

Any ideas for marketing... getting the word out?

A forum for authors, as well as aspiring authors, to connect, network, and converse about all facets of writing, publishing, and promotion.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
kasteer
Master Debater

Any ideas for marketing... getting the word out?

Unread post

Hi all,
I have my first novel self published and available on Amazon, the kindle and the nook. I've reached out to a few local book stores, I've posted on Facebook and craigslist.

What do you find works best for you?

Thanks,
Eric K.
Author of two books:
Landslide: Poor Management and How to Avoid it
Astral
My author's page: http://www.amazon.com/Eric-Kasten/e/B00 ... 651&sr=8-1
thekidd
Getting Comfortable

Re: Any ideas for marketing... getting the word out?

Unread post

Do you have a website? You might try Twitter also. Also book giveaways help generate interest in your book. Try Goodreads and Library Thing they both have giveaways. In exchange for the books the recipient provides a review of the book. These are some of the things I've tried. It's not easy to get the word out, but persistence usually pays off. Good Luck.
R. LeBeaux
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Try posting on Smashwords. It's free, and they offer lots of ideas for electronic book promotion.

http://www.smashwords.com/
Author of the novel Then Again - An Adventure in Time Travel
amazon.com/Then-Again-Adventure-Time-Tr ... f_=asap_bc
http://www.wmpublishing.com/
kasteer
Master Debater

Unread post

TheKidd - I have an author's website on Lulu and on Amazon. I always link to the amazon webpage. I haven't pursued a seperate website since these two already exist. I'm not convinced another site would benefit me.

LeBeaux - Thanks for the link! Looks great!. I'll register and post tonight when I get home.
Author of two books:
Astral
thekidd
Getting Comfortable

Unread post

I hadn't thought of Lulu. I'll look into that too. I feel the more avenues I try the better. I use my website to tell readers about myself, my book and to blog. I've only started keeping statistics on the number of visits the last two weeks but I receive between 150-200 visits a week. It doesn't sound like a lot but it's a start and the more people I have visiting the better the chances I'll pick up readers. Keep us posted on your progress and good luck.
kasteer
Master Debater

Unread post

Talked to the manager of a small local cafe. He was very receptive of me setting up a table one Sat or Sun to sell/autograph books. Said they had an another author do that one and he sold 10-15 books.

I'm waiting for a schedule to set up my own table...
Author of two books:
Astral
Karen Fisher-Alaniz
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

Pick a few social media sites and do them really well. Post new material often on your website. Make yourself available. Start collecting email addresses and sending out periodic newsletters to that list - always let them know that is your intention. Only 50% of people are online, so make sure you're working just as hard on people who aren't online as you are for those who are. Figure out who needs/wants what you have to offer and offer to speak, read your book or whatever. Just keep pluggin' away at it and be willing to change your plan. ~K
My website: http://www.storymatters2.com
Breaking the Code - a Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey,
and the Question That Changed Everything (Sourcebooks) came
out on 11/1/11. Buy at your local bookstore, or on Amazon
kasteer
Master Debater

Unread post

Thank you very much for the response. I thought more than 50% of people are online nowadays. The problem is that they're so spread out online... some on websites like this one, some not on discussion forums...
Author of two books:
Astral
Karen Fisher-Alaniz
Creative Writing Student

Unread post

It was 50% a few months ago - maybe it has changed. But you also have to figure in there, that there are a lot of people who only do email, or only email and Facebook or whatever. It's really all about knowing your audience. For my particular book, my target audience is baby-boomers and up into the WWII generation. But if your audience was younger or your subject more aimed at tech-savvy adults, it would be entirely different. I just think none of us can afford to only do one type of marketing. We still have to "get out there." ~K
My website: http://www.storymatters2.com
Breaking the Code - a Father's Secret, a Daughter's Journey,
and the Question That Changed Everything (Sourcebooks) came
out on 11/1/11. Buy at your local bookstore, or on Amazon
kelstan

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Intern

Unread post

I've been in direct marketing for over 18 years. Although it is tempting and easy and inexpensive to focus your marketing efforts strictly online, my own experience, and many studies, show that direct marketing works. While paid advertising is probably beyond your budget, there are inexpensive ways to boost your exposure. The simplest would be to have people sign up to win a free copy of your book or something at your book signing - collect addresses as well as emails. Create a simple database so you can stay in contact with people interested in your work. Check with local libraries, community centers, etc. - perhaps they will let you come in for a book reading. Contact local book clubs to see if they would be interested in having you speak to them about your book. If your book is age appropriate, you could offer to do some reading at local schools. Send a press release to newspaper editors and make yourself available for interviews. Everywhere you go, be sure to collect sign ups and add them to your database, and then followup with an occasional newsletter. Get creative and you'll find lots of inexpensive ways to promote yourself. DON'T BE MODEST! And always, always, always end any promotion with a call to action, such as "Buy Astral at Amazon.com" Notice how that is a stronger statement than "Astral is available on Amazon"? You can make your book sound like the greatest thing since sliced bread, but if you don't ask people to buy it, they won't. You'll be surprised how often people will do something just because you tell them to.

Return to “Author's Lounge”