• In total there are 6 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 6 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

After Newtown, How Safe Are We?

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Re: After Newtown, How Safe Are We?

Unread post

Risk of dying through accident or assault is low in the U.S., and life expectancy is still rising a bit (I think), but there are still important jobs to do in public health. Although it sounds cold-blooded, the decision of whether to lower risk usually comes down to cost-benefit analysis. We need to spend public money on projects that will do the most good--not as simple as it sounds when politics gets in the way of agreeing on which goods to choose. It would be nice to drive risk down toward zero, but we know it will never happen, would entail changes to our lives that we'd find unacceptable, or would give just a little bit of risk reduction for a lot of money. That's why etudiant's approach of finding the areas of differential risk makes the most sense. If there are areas of outsize risk, relative to an accepted standard, we should work on those first.

Gun violence is one of these areas. Even if my personal risk of getting shot is very low, in cities such as Washington, DC and Chicago, the elevated risk should cause real concern. Of the three main areas proposed to be targeted--regulating gun manufacture and sales, the mental health system, and the entertainment industry--the first of these is by far the most likely to produce results. It's closest to the source of the problem, whereas the others are loosely causal at best. Wayne LaPierre, CEO of the NRA, said that Newtown was a failure of the mental health system, but it wasn't, as far as anyone can say due to lack of knowledge about the killer. Besides, the mental health system can never be expected to restrain all maladjusted, angry, or weird people from harming others; it isn't designed to do that. I'm all for reforming the entertainment industry, as it would be gratifying to me never to hear of another violent video game or "action" movie, but the free speech problems are significant.
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Mr A wrote:These two blog entries on the Rule Of Reason blog may be of interest to those discussing or considering supporting gun control:

http://ruleofreason.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... ds-up.html
http://ruleofreason.blogspot.com/2012/1 ... ublic.html
Have had a chance just to skim these blogs, but thanks for posting them. They should provoke discussion!
etudiant
Masters

Unread post

Skim reading indeed. I don't think your correspondent could have endured much more, without bringing up my evening cup of grog, which I usually hope to retain until its effects are fully realized.

The urgings of Mr A, and his mythological heros, would bring the US to a state of armed camp. Their complete lack of understanding of human psychology, of sociological factors, of the history of such efforts to date, indicates an adolescent, uninformed, media induced view of the world, which likely serves ( I suspect) to counteract feelings of personal angst, or needs that fall short of sociatal functionality, or god knows what other personal failings or issues, but adds only to the gun/personal freedom/violence in society debate with an atmosphere of absurdity, which I'm sure we could all bypass without any feelings of regret.

More later.
"I suspect that the universe is not only queerer than we suppose, but queerer than we can suppose"
— JBS Haldane
Pheidippides
Permanent Ink Finger

Unread post

Not to switch topics or diverge too widely from the stated premise, but I'm just speechless here.......

Gun sales surge; HuffPo
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

That seems right on the money, topic-wise. It's by now an absolutely classic reaction to this kind of event: Gun dealers lining their pockets.
Mr A
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Huh? Gun dealers lining their pockets?

Where do you get that from?

There is such a demand they took phones off the hook. I see it as, people arming themselves while they still can...
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
- Cyril Connolly

My seven published books are available for purchase, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/Steven-L.-Sheppard/e/B00E6KOX12
Robert Tulip

2B - MOD & SILVER
Australia

Unread post

Surprising commentary from Sam Harris
http://www.samharris.org/blog/item/the- ... of-the-gun
Informative and controversial - he is a gun nut.
Last edited by Robert Tulip on Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mr A
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Objectivity Harry Binswanger article on Forbes.com

http://www.forbes.com/sites/harrybinswa ... is-amoral/

" Laws prohibiting or regulating guns across the board represent the evil of preventive law and should be abolished."
"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
- Cyril Connolly

My seven published books are available for purchase, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/Steven-L.-Sheppard/e/B00E6KOX12
DWill

1H - GOLD CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Robert Tulip wrote:Surprising commentary from Sam Harris
Well, I wouldn't say 'gun nut,' would you, really? At least in the American context, he isn't.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

DWill wrote:
Robert Tulip wrote:Surprising commentary from Sam Harris
Well, I wouldn't say 'gun nut,' would you, really? At least in the American context, he isn't.
If anything the Sam Harris piece is one of the more reasonable discussions of the gun issue that I've seen.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Current Events & History”