Online reading group and book discussion forum
  HOME ENTER FORUMS OUR BOOKS LINKS DONATE ADVERTISE CONTACT  
View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Sep 25, 2016 7:17 am

<< Week of September 25, 2016 >>
Sunday Monday Tuesday Wednesday Thursday Friday Saturday
25 Day Month

26 Day Month

27 Day Month

28 Day Month

29 Day Month

30 Day Month

1 Day Month

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average. 
Acharya S - The Christ Conspiracy 
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Gold Contributor

Post Acharya S - The Christ Conspiracy
The Christ Conspiracy - The Greatest Story Ever Sold by Acharya S (D.M. Murdock)

Available at http://www.truthbeknown.com

I'm posting this in the Hitchens God is not Great section because it directly address one of Hitchens' main themes, the veracity of religious claims.

I have just finished reading The Christ Conspiracy - The Greatest Story Ever Sold by Acharya S (D.M. Murdock). It is a truly wonderful book, and deserves to be widely discussed to inform understanding of the nature of religion. The Christ Conspiracy is a superb factual compendium for the mythicist understanding of religion, as a detailed study of how Christianity emerged to dominate the ancient world through alliance with the imperial state of Rome and incorporation of the beliefs of many preceding myths in a unified dogma, much of which was historically false and fraudulent.

A theme I find illuminating in this material is the psychology of narrative transmission. Oral traditions mutate when they come into contact. We see this with Christianity, adopted in the common era of the ancient world because of its ability to combine other ideas into a single monolithic belief system, including by giving old Gods subordinate positions as saints. For example Tammuz became Thomas, while Jesus himself took on many of the features of Horus and Krishna. Osiris appears in the Bible as Lazarus.

Acharya's reading of the Bible as an astrotheological document results in what orthodox Christianity has rejected as the Docetist Heresy, the claim that the story of Christ embodied in Jesus is historically false, because the Christ is an eternal idea and Jesus was not in fact a real person. I have to say, I personally hold on to the slim faith that Jesus Christ could have been a real person, despite all the evidence Acharya collects to the contrary. It is simply that the message Christ conveyed was actually so counter-cultural in its day, bringing together different traditions, that a central great teacher could well have been invisible to external historians of the time. However, the absence of Jesus from any non-gospel historical sources does indicate that if he did exist he was supremely capable of concealing the fact.

RT

Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:39 pm
Profile Email WWW
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

Platinum Contributor

Post Re: Acharya S - The Christ Conspiracy
Robert Tulip wrote:
The Christ Conspiracy - The Greatest Story Ever Sold by Acharya S (D.M. Murdock)
Available at http://www.truthbeknown.com

I'm posting this in the Hitchens God is not Great section because it directly address one of Hitchens' main themes, the veracity of religious claims.
Acharya's reading of the Bible as an astrotheological document results in what orthodox Christianity has rejected as the Docetist Heresy
RT

Thanks for bringing this book to our attention. Books like this illustrate the fascinating nature of the study of religion (recommended by Hitchens, too). I hope you won't mind if I say, Robert, that an obstacle for me would be the astrotheological content. I admit up front that my mind is not open to astrological belief.

No, it is impossible; it is impossible to convey the life-sensation of any given epoch of one's existence--that which makes its truth, its meaning--its subtle penetrating essence. It is impossible. We live as we dream--alone.

Joseph Conrad, The Heart of Darkness

Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:26 am
Years of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membershipYears of membership
pets endangered by possible book avalanche

Gold Contributor

Bill, your lack of openness illustrates how successfully Christianity abolished the astral basis of religion from human consciousness. The fact is that the "Jesus and twelve disciples" motif of Christianity, like numerous other religious ideas, is directly borrowed from old astral belief systems including those of Egypt, India and Persia. They understood the reality of this motif as a symbol of the sun and the twelve signs of the zodiac, as a natural reality with no intrinsic magical content.

The furious destruction of pagan knowledge by early Christianity was very successful in both concealing the evidence for the construction of the Christ myth by the church and destroying evidence on the astral nature of all ancient religion. Acharya's work pieces together this evidence in a compelling way.

Scaffolding is needed to erect a building, but is removed once the building is made, and is difficult to reconstruct in imagination. However, this image does not quite show the problem with religion, which is rather that Christianity is like the upper floor of a multi-storey building which has demolished the lower floors on which it was built and now hangs in the air by pure faith.

Mon May 04, 2009 2:28 pm
Profile Email WWW
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] • Topic evaluate: Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.Evaluations: 0, 0.00 on the average.