• In total there are 49 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 48 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 871 on Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:00 am

4 men hear voice saying "Help me, help me" from a car upside down in water

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame

4 men hear voice saying "Help me, help me" from a car upside down in water

Unread post

http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/03/10 ... -alive.cnn

Some of you may already have heard about the rescue of this baby girl.

The men of the emergency response team all heard clearly a voice saying "help me, help me"
A couple of them even verbally responded to the voice before they discovered the toddler in the car and the mother who was already deceased.

Interbane:
Was this a group delusion?
Were the men that responded verbally to the mystery voice just responding to the delusion in each of their brains, by coincidence, all at the same time?

Johnson:
Whats the scientific explanation for this mystery voice?
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Re: 4 men hear voice saying "Help me, help me" from a car upside down in water

Unread post

ant wrote:Interbane:
Was this a group delusion?
Were the men that responded verbally to the mystery voice just responding to the delusion in each of their brains, by coincidence, all at the same time?
I don't know what it could have been, I wasn't there. What do you think? Do you think the answer is something supernatural?
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

I think there is a natural explanation:
The toddler quickly learned to speak adult so that its genes could survive into the future

Or the rescue team heard each others delusion because they were all stressed out.

And perhaps even there was a momentary opening in one of those natural mutliverses where all possible events happen simultaneously, and someone from out there called for help.

We will make the data fit nicely with a naturalistic explanation. You just wait!
ant

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR

Unread post

Ps

If we cant find an explanation we can just rationally say it never happened because we werent there!
That explanation never fails.
Interbane

1G - SILVER CONTRIBUTOR
United States of America

Unread post

ant wrote:I think there is a natural explanation:
The toddler quickly learned to speak adult so that its genes could survive into the future

Or the rescue team heard each others delusion because they were all stressed out.

And perhaps even there was a momentary opening in one of those natural mutliverses where all possible events happen simultaneously, and someone from out there called for help.

We will make the data fit nicely with a naturalistic explanation. You just wait!
You think it's one of those 3 "natural" explanations? Neither of us believe that.
ant wrote:If we cant find an explanation we can just rationally say it never happened because we werent there!
That explanation never fails.
I see no reason to doubt it happened.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.” - Douglas Adams
LanDroid

2A - MOD & BRONZE
Comandante Literario Supreme
United States of America

Unread post

This is solid proof of The Vague Generic Diety.

If you watch the entire video linked above and hang in there a bit, here's the video that follows. A mayor on vacation gets in trouble in the surf, another man attempts to save the mayor, but drowns while the mayor survives. This is solid proof that miracles must be offset by The Vague Generic Diety so the universe remains inscrutably neutral.
http://www.cnn.com/videos/us/2015/03/09 ... -kindness/
Isaiah 1:15

But if there is serious injury, you are to take life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot, burn for burn, wound for wound, bruise for bruise.
Exodus 21: 23 - 25
youkrst

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
One with Books

Unread post

:lol: V G D, V G D, V G D, V G D :lol:
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
United States of America

Unread post

There are many other possibilities than what you have listed, Ant. How about this one. One of the men believed he heard it and he later (or right then during the rescue) brought it up to the others. The others went along with it because they saw how emotionally invested the first guy was in his delusion and they didn't want to hurt his feelings.

Next idea. One person thought he heard it and then shared his delusion with the others. They all happen to be very religious/gullible and they fell victim to the power of suggestion. This happens all the time with faith healers and televangelists. People actually believe they hear voices, are "touched" by the Holy Spirit, are cured of diseases, etc... The power of suggestion is a well-documented phenomenon.

Another idea is that someone who watched the vehicle plunge into the water was yelling from a distance something like "help her" or "help" and the sound traveled across the water and was received by one or more of the rescuers.

Another idea is that the woman wasn't dead at the start of the rescue and they heard her voice under the water screaming. After watching the video this seems somewhat likely. The one guy describes her eyes as having "some life in them" still. Start around 2:10 and listen. She could have been struggling to keep her head above the water, saying "help me, help me" and then finally succumbed to exhaustion and her mouth submerged and she sucked in water and drowned. Her eyes still had life in them...because she just drowned.

Yet another idea is that they heard the baby crying and their adrenaline-infused minds heard it more as the word "help." My cat seems to be crying "guys" when we drive him to the vet. He is in distress and he ONLY makes this cry when in the car feeling very stressed. It literally sounds like "guuuuys." When I lived on a ranch we had 5 peacocks. They make a call that sounds just like the word "help." We joked about it daily. So maybe these guys heard muffled cries from the baby and one or more heard it as "help."

One thing we (rational people) know for a fact is nobody heard "help me, help me" coming from the mom if the mom was dead. And we know the supernatural is nonsense so nothing supernatural happened. If a dead person could talk to living people and say "help me, help me" it would not just happen on rare occasions.

I suggest we watch this story over the next few weeks and see if one of these people comes forward to admit he didn't really hear the voice.
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

Based on the very limited information we have, I'd say that one of the the officers heard something or thought he heard something and in the adrenaline-fueled moment, all the officers went along with the narrative of the "mysterious voice." This is far more plausible than something actually "mysterious" or supernatural occurred.

People make up fantastic things all the time. For example, people "see" the Virgin Mary's face in a piece of burnt toast. If you are primed to believe in supernatural things, it can color the way you interpret events. There's a well known psychological experiment that shows that people who are thinking about snakes are much more likely to jump when they see a coil of rope than those who are not already thinking about snakes.

As Chris said, look for a changing story as new details emerge.
-Geo
Question everything

Return to “Current Events & History”