• In total there are 30 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 30 guests (based on users active over the past 60 minutes)
    Most users ever online was 789 on Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:08 am

2 year old killed at zoo

A forum dedicated to friendly and civil conversations about domestic and global politics, history, and present-day events.
Forum rules
Do not promote books in this forum. Instead, promote your books in either Authors: Tell us about your FICTION book! or Authors: Tell us about your NON-FICTION book!.

All other Community Rules apply in this and all other forums.
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Re: 2 year old killed at zoo

Unread post

In this case it seems the parent is the responsible party, but i see what you are getting at, Chris.

A four foot wall should be sufficient, plus the fact there are wild dogs on the other side, to keep adults out. But kids need parents because they don't yet have the sense of adults, and a four foot wall doesn't necessarily represent an impassible barrier to an energetic kid.

I could see problems with momentarily unsupervised kids free-falling to their death, but in this particular instance, no. From what i heard, it was the parent's fault.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
geo

2C - MOD & GOLD
pets endangered by possible book avalanche
United States of America

Unread post

johnson1010 wrote:In this case it seems the parent is the responsible party, but i see what you are getting at, Chris.

A four foot wall should be sufficient, plus the fact there are wild dogs on the other side, to keep adults out. But kids need parents because they don't yet have the sense of adults, and a four foot wall doesn't necessarily represent an impassible barrier to an energetic kid.

I could see problems with momentarily unsupervised kids free-falling to their death, but in this particular instance, no. From what i heard, it was the parent's fault.
Who knows how any one of would have acted in such a situation, but it seems to me the mother or someone should have jumped down immediately to try and save the child.
-Geo
Question everything
johnson1010
Tenured Professor

Unread post

Yeah.

Tough spot thinking about it after the fact, and i'm sure the parent is raking herself over the coals for it.

Like i said, that's a steep price to pay for a few moments of foolishness which could easily have gone another, safe, way.

I would have jumped down and tried to rally the other people there to help me fend off the dogs. But then, this is after having thought about this scenario for a while. It feels like a plan i just came up with, but i've had this in my head for days now. Who knows how it would have gone down in the moment?

Well, i wouldn't have put him on the fence for one.

It's sad. The mother doesn't need people piling on her as well. I'm sure she's beating the hell out of herself every day. I won't speak on this any more. If she ever google searches and comes across this i don't want to pile on her too hard.

She was being foolish, but the price was too high. Too bad all around.
In the absence of God, I found Man.
-Guillermo Del Torro

Are you pushing your own short comings on us and safely hating them from a distance?

Is this the virtue of faith? To never change your mind: especially when you should?

Young Earth Creationists take offense at the idea that we have a common heritage with other animals. Why is being the descendant of a mud golem any better?
heledd
Doctorate

Unread post

How awful!! Yes it is easy to lay blame. But I can't forget the horror I felt when I took my five year old to see penguins at the zoo. He dropped his camera into the enclosure, and to my horror, clambered in to get it back out again. OK penguins are harmless, but still, it happened so quick
Life's a glitch and then you die - The Simpsons
Mr. P

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Has Plan to Save Books During Fire

Unread post

I think zoos are horrible anyway. I agree, though, that the zoo is not to blame. People need to take responsibility for their actions and THINK before they do whatever the fuck they want. We think we can always just do what we want because we want to do it. That is what gets people in trouble, and that is when we get crap like lawsuits against businesses and other people that are frivolous. So much pain and sorrow could be avoided if either people would think before they act or the stupidity gets selected out of the species.

At the very least, the gene pool has improved a bit. This is purely the fault of the parent. I NEVER had one of my four kids accidentally get into any dangerous situation. My wife and I were always diligent in keeping them safe when we were out. We did not get distracted and always were responsible. I see so many parents out there that should not be. I agree with one of the other posts...licensing and testing should be mandatory for having children. It is not 'ok' anymore to breed at will. The world is too complex for blind shots.
When you refuse to learn, you become a disease.
tbarron

1F - BRONZE CONTRIBUTOR
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

Once upon a time, humans lived in a dangerous environment, where the least misstep or lapse of attention could get you killed. So humans grew up (the ones who survived to grow up, anyway) watchful and careful. And they thought about their situation and figured out ways to push the dangerous environment back and isolate and protect themselves from it.

So today, we live is a relatively safe, in many ways, almost danger-free world. We grow up care free, with little pressure or incentive to be watchful, to learn how to stay safe, to notice the smell of a predator on the breeze. And most of the time, it's okay, because we stay in that safe, danger-free world. We're protected.

Every so often, though, reality breaks through and touches us. A tornado destroys a town. A school shooting happens nearby. An airplane crashes. A woman accidentally drops her baby into a cage full of wild dogs. A young man climbs into a tiger enclosure because he wants "to be one with the tiger" and is badly injured.

Hopefully, those so touched learn to be more careful next time. May we all learn to be watchful and careful from the mistakes we read about, rather than having to learn such lessons firsthand.
Tom
Mr A
Wearing Out Library Card

Unread post

"Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
- Cyril Connolly

My seven published books are available for purchase, click here:
http://www.amazon.com/Steven-L.-Sheppard/e/B00E6KOX12
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Of course the zoo says that. In every lawsuit each side blames the other. This doesn't mean the mother is 100% at fault. They should assign a percentage of negligence to both sides. I'd say the mother is 75% to blame and the zoo 25%.

Does anyone know if the zoo has raised the wall in question since this incident took place?
Olivia22
Freshman

Unread post

In this case it was the mothers fault IMO.

Chris, they gave the wild dogs to other zoos and they now have cheetahs in the exhibit.
Chris OConnor

1A - OWNER
BookTalk.org Hall of Fame
United States of America

Unread post

Yes, because Cheetahs wouldn't rip someone to shreds who fell into their enclosure. LOL

I agree this was the mom's fault. I'm just feeling her sadness and pain as I have a 2 year old little boy and I cannot fathom how it would be to lose him.

Return to “Current Events & History”